Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of pain!

Exclamation Lots of pain!

Sorry I have been MIA for a few days or so. My DS was sleeping terrible.

On Thursday night my ds slept 3 hours then every hour after that :-( After the 3hour stretch I woke up with my left breast hard as a rock and painful. I had to manually remove some milk so that my son could latch. Even though this was an improvement, it still left me so exhausted I could barley keep myself from passing out!

THEN
    Last night...my ds slept 5 1/2 hours and then every hour or two after that. After the 5 1/2 hour stretch..I woke up in so much pain!! My right breast was so hard and painful I cried. I tried removing some milk so relieve the pain and the fullness but it didn't help at all. My son at this point was screaming so I decided to feed him off the left..it was not full or painful at all. I then struggled to go back to sleep. When he woke up the other times I tried to nurse him on the painful right breast first but it was either WAY to painful or he couldn't latch. This morning I woke up around 8am and the pain was worse. I used my pump to try and relieve the pain but that didn't help at all. Now I am worried that something is wrong....my whole right breast hurts even when he isnt nursing, and now my nipple is bothering me I have messaged and used warm compresses and nursed my son on it every chance I get..nothing is helping.

Anyone with advice???

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Lots of pain!

is the pain just from engorgement? or is it a shooting pain from your nipple into the breast?

There is no pain shooting from the nipple into the breast. Right now my breast doesn't feel engorged and I can't feel any hard spots. When I nurse him...it is the worst..and soon after I get a stabing nipple pain.

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

maybe vasospasm or thrush... check these out and let us know:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/thrush.html

keep in mind thrush can be tricky to pinpoint

So today my right breast feels way better but is still very tender to the touch. But now when I squeeze my breast the milk looks different in color. Kinda beige.

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

good to hear you are felling better. color can vary quite a bit so i would not worry about that.