Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO sleeps @ night - should I pump?

Default LO sleeps @ night - should I pump?

My LO is going to be 7 wks old on 8/9. She pretty much sleeps though the night, should I pump in the wee hours of the morning? If I don't, will that affect my supply? I'm currently trying to increase w/ Fenugreek and Mothers Milk Tea. My LO isn't ALWAYS consistant w/ her sleeping and sometimes she will wake up at 2 or 3 for a feeding and then I have to leave for work by 6.

Talking Re: LO sleeps @ night - should I pump?

I've been wondering the same thing as I have an almost identical issue. My son is 7 wks old and sleeps from 10:30pm-4:30am and then wakes to nurse 5 min then is sleeping again until 8am! He makes up for it throughout the day but for whatever reason sleeps so long.

What I've been doing is when he wakes at 4:30 I pump after he eats on both sides (he only eats on one side at this feeding). I don't know if it's "right" or not but that's what I do. I'd love to hear what others do.
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: LO sleeps @ night - should I pump?

1. What is your definition of STTN? Everyone has a different idea of what this means.
    2. Why are you trying to increase your supply? Is your lo gaining weight? Happy?
    3. Have you tried pumping to increase your supply?

Sounds like you're a super busy mom! You're doing a great thing by pumping for your lo. It can't be easy.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Default Re: LO sleeps @ night - should I pump?

As long as you have a normal supply, your body should adapt to your baby's sleeping patterns. The occasional waking at 2 or 3 should also help to just "remind" your body to keep making milk, if that makes sense. By 7 weeks or so, I would think it's fine to just let baby sleep, which you are doing, and should be fine to just let yourself sleep, as well. We mommies breastfed for a long time before breast pumps and annoying work schedules; our bodies are smart enough to figure it out.

That said, if you are trying to increase your supply, or you feel your supply is on the edge, this would probably be a good time to pump. It would also be a good way to build a nice stash to have on hand for a buffer since you are working. That is really nice to have so you don't have to worry about pumping quite as much at work.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010