Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reintroducing nursing to toddler

Default Reintroducing nursing to toddler

Hi!

My daughter is 20 months old. She was nursing when we became pregnant when she was 13 months old. Basically as soon as we conceived she didn't want to nurse. When we tasted my milk it was like heavily salted honey. As my husband put it wasn't that bad he just never wanted to taste it again.

She would periodically try to nurse every few weeks. Immediately pulling off with a look of disgust. When my milk dried up she started trying again but would lose interest when there was no milk. When the colostrum came in she started being interested again and was trying out nursing about once a day for a while. She would occasionally bite me. The last time she bit me it drew blood and was really painful. Now I'm 32 weeks and having too many contractions to try nursing her again until we get closer to 37 wks.

Given her continued interest in nursing I would really like to do my best to support her relearning how to nurse and her ability to have a tandem nursing relationship with her future sibling. We had heard of a lot of women having a hard time getting the older sibling back to the breast in spite of the baby's interest because they had forgotten how to nurse. So we had started giving her bottles of milk at night.

I would really love any tips or stories of what to do and not to do in order to help our daughter relearn how to nurse. Most of the people I've talked to cannot imagine why I want her to be able to nurse and nobody has any tips for me since most were trying or hoping to wean by this age. I honestly don't think that she was ready to stop especially emotionally but also from a nutritional and immunological stand point. She is really interested in nursing but my concerns are: How do I reintroduce nursing? Should I, at 37 wks, just take away the bottle of milk at night and use the SNS system until the baby comes? Should I let her start trying before the baby comes? Should I wait until my milk comes in to let her try? How do I keep her from biting me while she is relearning and I'm trying to help the new baby nurse at the same time? What can I do to encourage proper sucking and latch after she has been using the bottle for so long?

Default Re: Reintroducing nursing to toddler

your a trouper cause I don't know if I could put up with the bitting....

Default Re: Reintroducing nursing to toddler

maybe this would be helpful to you
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...n-toddler.html