Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying baby in pain?

Default Crying baby in pain?

My DD is 5 weeks old. She's been really gassy the past week or so. The past couple days she would spit up multiple times after her 8am feeding. Last night around 3am she vomitted a lot. The past couple days when she feeds she pulls and squirms. She's even coughed and gagged. Today however she cried while feeding. She continued to suck, but was crying. And now she's continuously crying. She looks like she's in pain. I don't know what to do. At first I thought this was just her dealing with OALD because I have a pretty aggressive let down in my left breast. But today she pulled, coughed, and cried while feeding on both breasts. But now that she's crying in pain and nothing we do is helping... I'm worried that it's reflux. There's no fever. Her wet and soiled diapers are fine. She has some skin peeling on her forhead and what looks like a couple baby acne on her cheek. I know I've listed a lot of info here... and it's probably pretty scattered and hard to follow. But what can I do? I hate seeing/hearing her in pain.

Default Re: Crying baby in pain?

I have overactive letdown and it is much more in my left breast as well. I noticed that my daughter needed (and still does need) lots of burping. She swallows a lot of air trying to keep up with the flow and if a big air bubble is beneath a feeding, the feeding comes up with the next burp. Try burping more often and see if that helps.

Oh poor little girl, she sounds a lot like my wee one at that age, it just about breaks your heart. First it could be reflux, you could go on a trial of Zantac for a week or two and see if that helps? We did and it really worked. Only a scope test can diagnose reflux for sure so most time it is a guessing game? It tastes pretty yucky but I think now they have a flavored one, make sure you ask about that. Also do you have any family history of allergies or eczema? You may want to keep a food journal to see if anything that you eat makes it worse? Also keeping her propped up for a while after she eats in a bouncy etc could help. And like the above mom said loads of burping!!! Some babies are just spitters sad to say, but the crying while feeding really makes me suspect some reflux or allergy's? Also have you tried breast compressions to keep the milk flowing when you are feeding? Something else that worked for us was to swaddle Thomas very tightly while I was feeding him, that seemed to help, also the less distractions the better. Lot's of info here, I am sure that others will come along with advice also!

Also if the spitting gets really extreme or if you are just uncomfortable you can also nip into the ped for a weight check, just to make sure that she is not spitting enough to loose weight?!? Rule of thumb it usually looks like a lot more than it is.

She's had gas problems since she was 2 weeks old. I have been burping her very often. I burp her every few minutes while feeding and burp her for an extended amount of time when she's done feeding. I've done tummy massages, leg movements like a bicycle, and crunched her legs up towards her tummy. I've given her Mylicon drops every once in a while. All that usually helps the gas and quiets her down very quickly. None of that helped last night when she was constantly crying. Also, she normally spits up a lil bit, that doesn't concern me. But the other night on my bed the amount she vomitted was enough to soak a good square foot of space and it came out pretty forcefully. That's why I think this new crying/pain isn't due to gas. She cried for 6 hours and just when we were about to hop in the car to see if a ride would help, she suddenly fell asleep during a diaper change, I think out of exhaustion. She seemed okay through out the day today, no spitting up or crying. But right now she's starting to fuss and cry again unless she's in an upright position, but even when upright she's occasionally complaining.

Does reflux usually act up more during a particular time of day (i.e. night time)???

Both DH and I had eczema when we were lil kids. I'm not allergic to any food, but DH is lactose intolerant. Would food allergies act up more during certain times of the day???

We have a Dr. appt. scheduled for this coming wednesday. If she ends up having another couple nights like last night or gets worse, I think I'll drop into the dr.'s. Otherwise I'll run these questions/concerns by the dr. next week.

In the meantime thanks for the responses. And please keep the suggestions coming in case she has another fit tonight. You guys are comforting.

Here is a link that might be helpful in determining whether your baby has reflux: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html Even if your baby doesn't have reflux, your baby might benefit from some of the suggestions for relieving discomfort.

Many times when babies have a belly ache, they want to nurse for comfort, but nursing again with all the milk from OALD just makes them fussy. Smaller, more frequent feeds may help. Many mothers find that assigning one breast for two hours of feeds helps. If not, they often gradually increase the time assigned to the breast until they find a time that helps.

Babies younger than 3-4 months have an immature digestive system. They are often gassy, spit up, and sometimes even have colic that usually resolve on their own by 3-4 months. Often the amount spit up is not as much as it looks like. Take a 1/2 cup of water and pour it on your counter or floor and watch it spread out. It looks like a lot more than a 1/2 a cup! Liquids do the same things on clothes.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

I would def bring up those concerns to your ped. Food allergies and eczema go hand in hand. Also If dh is lactose intolerant you may very well be starting to play the allergy game You may want to think about an elimination diet to see if cutting out dairy in your diet makes a difference. About the allergies and reflux acting up at certain times of the day, you know that is a tough one, it always seems to me that everything is worse at night or at that "witching hour" 5, 7, 9 ,deal. Maybe go over to the allergy threads and read there about other mom's experiences with this sort of thing, I am one of them and would be more than happy to help you in any way. Best case scenario, your little one just as an immature digestive track and it will work itself out, never hurts to be informed though.

I would def bring up those concerns to your ped. Food allergies and eczema go hand in hand. Also If dh is lactose intolerant you may very well be starting to play the allergy game You may want to think about an elimination diet to see if cutting out dairy in your diet makes a difference. About the allergies and reflux acting up at certain times of the day, you know that is a tough one, it always seems to me that everything is worse at night or at that "witching hour" 5, 7, 9 ,deal. Maybe go over to the allergy threads and read there about other mom's experiences with this sort of thing, I am one of them and would be more than happy to help you in any way. Best case scenario, your little one just as an immature digestive track and it will work itself out, never hurts to be informed though.