Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost one year...then what?

Default Almost one year...then what?

Hi ladies,

My DS will be turning one in less than a month...wow has time flown. He's been exclusively breastfed even through our various challenges -- colic, food allergies that were helped through my eating an extremely strict elimination diet for months but that finally resolved when he was about 6 months, a nursing strike at 2 months, and worst of all, I had to have major surgery just last month to correct a horrific birth injury I suffered (and we've been able to continue breastfeeding no problem even through my recovery where I'm not able to lift him up).

Anyway, I definitely understand the benefits of continuing to breastfeed past a year and don't plan to wean him. But since it's been an incredibly stressful year, I am looking forward to not feeling so stressed about having him being so dependent on me for nutrition. He still nurses every 2-3 hours during the day and for the past few weeks less at night (we co-sleep, and he is finally sleeping much, much better -- he's down to maybe nursing 2 times a night). He eats and really likes a variety of solids -- he has breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. He does well with finger foods. He's been gaining weight great ever since he was born! He's very active -- he started walking at 9.5 months, and by now he's literally running around everywhere.

My questions are:

1. Do I introduce milk to him after he turns a year? Since he'll still be nursing, how much milk do I give him a day? How much water? He currently doesn't drink any water or other liquids besides breast milk. But I've let him try pumped breast milk out of a sippy cup a couple of times so that he could learn how to drink out of a sippy cup.
    2. Should I still offer nursing every few hours during the day or only let him "demand"? By now, I sort of wait for him to walk up to me and "demand" but if it's been almost three hours since the last nursing session, I always offer.

LLL and this board have been great sources of support throughout this past (almost!) year.

Default Re: Almost one year...then what?

At this point, it sounds like things are all going great! I would say relax and enjoy it. Nurse him when he wants, but don't worry about offering, unless you're uncomfortably full. If he's still nursing several times a day, I don't think you need to worry about cow's milk. Introduce it if you want to, but don't feel any pressure to do so. The toddler year(s) are the best of all for nursing! Have fun with your new "kid" It just keeps getting better from here!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

1. It's up to you. If you want, you can introduce cow's milk or goat's milk. But as long as you are nursing 3-5 times per day, you do not need to offer other species' milk. If you're not nursing that often, you still don't have to use milk, because you can meet your LO's dairy needs by offering full fat yogurt or cheese. Finally, don't be surprised if you offer cow's milk and your LO is all . A lot of kids don't like cow's milk, especially at first. I couldn't get my DD1 to drink it, even with chocolate syrup in it!

2. It's up to you. You can continue to offer, and that is certainly the ideal. But if you are ready to move the weaning process forward a little more quickly, you can transition to "don't ask, don't refuse". Just be aware that if you transition to DADR, you need to be a little more proactive about your child's solid food intake, keeping tabs on whether or not he's eating a balanced diet and getting enough fat and calcium. Which is why it's easier to just nurse!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My DS just turned one in June, and I was originally planning to wean at that age, but I changed my mind. I thought I'd share some of my experiences in this situation, although you've gotten a lot of great advice already. Your pedi. will most likely give you a lot of advice in this area at your next check-up. Oh, and by the way, I'm trying to work towards weaning, so what I've done might not work for you.

1. With our pedi's permission, I did. I give him a little cow's milk at each meal, but he drinks very little of it throughout the day, maybe about 2 oz on average. We've been working on cow's milk for the last 2 months. My DS is still nursing at least 3 times a day, so I'm not too worried about that yet. I've noticed the suggested amount for cow's milk varies, so you'll probably want to talk to your pedi. about that one. However, as a PP said, if you're still nursing, you really don't have to worry about the amount, and there are a lot of foods that are rich in fat and calcium that you can include in your LO's daily diet. For example, my DS always gets whole-fat yogurt. I try to only give my DS sips of water throughout the day because he really loves water and would prefer to drink it over milk. However, I'd prefer he drinks milk since there's more nutrition in it, just my opinion.

2. Since I'm working towards weaning, I really don't nurse on demand anymore. I kind of stick to the sessions we've established throughout our relationship, like first thing in the morning and before bed. I also nurse him in the afternoon (I day-weaned him since I'm going back to work in two weeks and won't be available to nurse him during the day anymore) at about 3:00-ish since this will be when we'll start to be together in the evening. After 3-ish, if he asks for it, he gets it, but that rarely happens anymore.

This was my experience, but every baby is different. My DS definitely eats a lot of solid foods, eating three meals and two snacks throughout the day, and I really monitor what he eats, making sure he's eating a well-balanced diet.

My pedi. gave us a lot of advice at the 12-month appt., so hopefully you'll have the same experience and get some really good advice. I also spoke to my lactation consultant for some advice regarding your same questions.

Good luck!