Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and Milk Supply

Unhappy Pumping and Milk Supply

My 12 week old son just started child care 10 hours a day and I returned to work full time 10/30/06. I have been pumping 4 times a day totaling just under 3 hours total with my Medela Swing pump.

I pump at 7:15am, Noon, 4:30pm and 9:00pm and breast feed him each day at around 7:30pm and 6:00am. Daddy feeds him formula at around 1am to let me get some sleep.

Despite all of my pumping efforts I am only getting 10-12 oz. of milk a day for my son. However, he is consuming 16-18 oz. a day in my absence. We have resorted to adding 6oz. of formula a day time feedings to bridge the gap.

Is there anything I can do to get more milk or make pumping more efficient? I tought about getting a double pump but it is expensive to buy or rent one and I worry it will not do any good it my milk supply is not there.

Will I have enough milk for the weekend days to only breast feed him?

Please help!

Default Re: Pumping and Milk Supply

I am on the same boat as you. I work part time and I am unable to pump enough milk for ds when I am away from him. My milk supply dropped once I returned to work, so I resorted to fenugreek to help boost my supply. Here are some sites that you might want to refer to:

I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do? (This was a great resource for me!)
    Working and Pumping Tips

I have to give my ds 2 bottles of formula when I am away and I was disappointed when I had to do this because the plan was for him to only get my milk. I had to make myself understand that he was at least getting majority of his milk from me, which is better then nothing at all. I hope that this helps. Please keep us updated .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

I know how you both feel. I'm in the same boat. I think as long as they get some breastmilk they have the health benefits. Also, it's most crucial when they are very young, so we're all in the clear. Just remember it's not the end of the world to get a little formula.

Just to let you know, call around to as many pump supply stores as you can. I called around to a few pump supplies stores and found ones ranging from as high as $500 to start off renting, to $150 for 5 months of renting. Call Medela's information line at 1-800-TELL-YOU which will get you in touch with lactation consultants and you can enter your zip code and call around. I collected around 20 phone numbers and called them all. The prices were different at every place that I called, I figured even if I had to drive an hour away it would be worth it if I could save $50 or $100.

Either way, remember its much cheaper than formula and if you can breast feed baby its even better.

Lastly, if someone is low income and qualifies for WIC they will usually assist with a hospital grade breast pump. Many states recognize the benefits of breastfeeding (all the money saved) and he will assist if you're milk supply is low and financial guidlelines are met. Where there is a will there is a way, so shop around and I'm sure you'll be able to get access to a breast pump.

Lastly, some insurances cover lactation consultants, so I'm wondering if breast pumps can be covered by insurances if its considered a medical necessity. I worked in durable medical equipment, but not in the breast pump department so I'm not to sure. I would definetly look around and see what is available to you.

Thank you for your responses and links.

My son and I wound up at the hospital this weekend because he would not nurse. Turns out in his 5 days at daycare he developed a preference for the bottles the daycare provider was using. The lactation consultant at the hospital helps us correct this problem and all is well now. The daycare provider is also using Playtex bottles now designed for switching.

The lactation consultant also helped us get good double pump at a reasonable rate and gave us a list of several ways to increase milk supply. The list includes: Nursing when ever possible as much as possible. Sleeping or laying with your baby skin to skin as much as possible. Drinking an organic tea called Mothers Milk containing Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. You actually need both herbs to get the best benefit. She also said to eat oatmeal and avocado every day as well take prenatal vitamins and drink lots of water. She also added that you can not overdose on Fenugreek and said they joke that you are not taking enough Fenugreek until your pee smells like maple syrup.

This helped greatly, my milk supply is up and I though some of you may benefit from what I found out.