Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping in a bathroom?

Default Re: Pumping in a bathroom?

i love pumping in my car. i know that may sound odd but i feel like its my own space.

i agree with weighing your options. I really want to be able to pump when i want and for how long i need. i feel like if i were really pushy and made a scene about it then i wouldn't have the freedom i have right now. when i travel i do push the issue a bit, it depends on the situation. if you are not comfortable then find another option.

women have been pumping in the bathroom at my work for years. i even did with my first. for whatever reason it really bothered me to have to do it this time and i realized there was a room that was used very infrequently. so i spoke with people who use that room (its a recording studio) and asked if i could pump. i said if they needed it i would find something else for that session. they were fine with it and our use of the room has not conflicted yet.

Sharing a room among 3 people for pumping is easy thing. In my old office we had one room per building and almost 10people shared the room for pumping. Maybe create a google calendar which everyone can access.3 times of 15minutes pumping will be around 2hours15minutes a day.I don't see any issue.

Good Luck
    Mangai

There are bathrooms that I would prefer pumping in over some offices, if you know what I mean. I guess it depends on the bathroom, the other available spaces, and how workable-with the other mamas are about sharing space. You can always site the law if you need to, but it just depends on how comfortable you are with it all.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My office is very small with less than 15 people total. The only place I can pump is in the women's room since there are no empty offices. It has a lock and the other girl pulled a chair in so I guess I'll be doing the same when I'm in the office. I have a feeling with my schedule I'll be pumping a lot in the car.
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

As a pp'er pointed out, if you're in the US and there's more than 50 (I think) employees, they are required to provide a place that's not a bathroom for you to pump. But I'm guessing that if they have one place that all 3 of you can use, they're meeting the requirement. If it's a big enough space for all 3 of you, you might try making it work. Maybe you'd have mom's to visit with while pumping?
    I pumped in a bathroom with my 1st for months, but hated it! Often stinky and a couple of knocks on the door. Even had someone ask what I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    While my preference was not to share I was shocked at how opposed the other women were to it. I wanted to be able to hang a curtain or something, but they were very uncomfortable with the whole idea. I think I was the only one NIPing too
    Hmmmm...that seems sad to me.
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/