Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ideas to get baby to take bottle?

Default Ideas to get baby to take bottle?

I have 3 weeks before I go back to work, and LO will be 7 months. My husband gave him his first bottle and he took it with no problem a few weeks ao, but since then he's been refusing. He won't even let it near his mouth even if he is hungry. We are using Playtex drop-ins with a silicone nipple but I don't see changing bottles as something that would make a difference-he just turns his head away. Should we try a sippy cup? Are there secrets to make the bottle appealing? I doubt he even knows there is milk in it. I'm worried that he'll be crying and hungry all day at daycare. No interest in solids, either, so I've stopped those for now.

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Default Re: Ideas to get baby to take bottle?

7 months is a lot older than mine but I don't have a lot of suggestions. Typically caregivers have experience with this and it would be okay. For us, we are at 3 months and I just went back to work this week. I tried to give our baby a bottle for the last 2 weeks, both daddy and I tried. I tried several types of bottles but as long as it's a slow flow (i.e. similar to the breast) I don't think it matters. I've heard Playtex are good but the nipples were a little long so I am using the BreastFlow bottles as we used them the first 6 weeks with her when I was having trouble breastfeeding so I think they are familiar. Anyways I got really stressed last week, worried that she wouldn't eat at daycare and I knew I wouldn't be able to focus at work if that happened so I waited her out the Wednesday before I returned to work until she took a bottle. It wasn't too bad, she was a little fussy every time I softly put the tip of the bottle in her mouth and then she would go back to sleep or ignore me and the bottle after spitting it out. After about 6 hours, she woke up from her nap and sleepily drank from the bottle, 2 hours later she drank a second bottle.

I suspect you aren't really supposed to feed a bottle if you are the mama but I was so worried she would starve that I needed reassurance that she'd eat something during the long workday.

This week she was really fussy the first couple days but is slowly starting to settle down. She took barely anything the first day - 2 bottles, maybe 2 oz each. But now she is taking 4 bottles, maybe 1 1/2 oz. I think she normally eats a lot more than (I don't know how much comes out of my breasts) that but she is slowly eating more each day. Once she gets home I try to feed her as much as she'll take.

Good luck!!! There's lots of tips on the internet, different types of cups (i.e. sippy), different positions (i.e. feed her facing away from you or in a chair), different bottles, different times (i.e. sleepy, awake, hungry, not hungry).

Yes, try a sippy, spoon, or even a straw. Other things I know others to have done... warming the nipple of the bottle up first, feeding in a swing/carrier/stroller, going outside, altering the temperature of the milk, freezing it into "popsicles".

I think most do eventually, you just have to figure out what works. Try all sorts of zany things, you never know what will work! Good luck!
    SAHM to threee (homebirthed) kiddos...
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com

yup and at that age they just might not take a bottle at all and thats ok...
    You can nurse alot when your together and feed solids at day care.

He screams if it's anywhere near his mouth. I'm having my husband try everything but no luck yet. He refuses solids too. I haven't tried solids for over a week now because it gets him all upset. Allergies are making this more complicated too, it's making me so worried about leaving him.

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Try the latex nipple. Some babies won't take silicone ones.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My January babe just did the SAME thing today when I went back to work today! Ughhhhh... He drank 1.5 ounces the whole 6 hours I was gone, and only because they tricked him as he was falling asleep they popped the warm bottle in his mouth! Haha.

He was ANGRY when he saw me today, but what to do? He took the bottle just fine a few months ago, but now he's a different baby. I'm planning on leaving the Medela pump bottles tomorrow so I don't waste anymore milk. That way, they can warm an ounce at a time if he's willing. OR, I've left a sippy cup and some rice cereal. My DS has just started taking solids, so I'm hoping if he has something in his belly there, he won't keep my up all night nursing that night. Plus, he'll get SOME milk in his belly if they mix it with my milk. Ugh. I know.
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*swmom View Post
    He screams if it's anywhere near his mouth. I'm having my husband try everything but no luck yet. He refuses solids too. I haven't tried solids for over a week now because it gets him all upset. Allergies are making this more complicated too, it's making me so worried about leaving him.
    Just wanted to give you some emotional support, I've totally been there done that. It is stressful. Try not to show it to your LO while you're trying with the bottle. I know a lot of babies who absolutely refused but when the time came eventually got on board with the bottle.
    SAHM to threee (homebirthed) kiddos...
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com