Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changing the Quantity?

Default Changing the Quantity?

I read somewhere (and now I'm too lazy/busy to look it up) that you might have to increase the amount of milk that the baby eats around the age of 6 months.

Right now, my 5-month old is getting a total of 12 ounces at daycare while we are apart for about 9 hours. How do I know if that number needs to increase?

I have been pumping a perfect 12 ounces at work lately, so I'm kind of nervous that I won't be able to pump out anymore (if that would even be needed).

We're going to slowly start solids when he's 6 months old, so would that mean that he could still get 12 oz of milk and a bit of solids?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Changing the Quantity?

the amount of milk breastfed babies need doesn't increase over time. The makeup of your breastmilk changes to accommodate for baby's changing needs.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

What Julia said. And I think a lot of moms have the opposite experience, their kiddos start to drink less milk after 8-9 mos or so because they are getting solid foods.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I thought I had read that between birth and 6 months, it stays the same. And then at 6 months, something with the baby changes? I might be totally making this up. :-P
    ~ Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    And I think a lot of moms have the opposite experience, their kiddos start to drink less milk after 8-9 mos or so because they are getting solid foods.
    Ah - okay. So maybe that's what I read and I'm just switching it around in my tired brain. Thanks!

Do do ya'll just recommend giving the same amount of bottles and whatever solids - and see what happens at daycare??
    ~ Megan

I wouldn't change what you're doing unless there is a problem. If he's happy with the amount of milk he's getting you're all good. I found that when my kiddos went through upas and downs of appetite and what not they generally made up for it when they were at home with me. If they didn't get quite enough that day at day care they'd nurse more that night at home and vice versa.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I didn't notice a change in what my baby ate in terms of milk until he was closer to a year. I'm sure every baby is different, but I continued to leave the same amount of milk until i felt confident that my kiddo was getting well balanced meals from solids (or if not well balanced, caloric and nutritious.)
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Glad you brought this up... I was thinking the same as you, that it went up more after 6 months!