Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many times does LO BF daily

Default How many times does LO BF daily

I was wondering how often on average a 4month old chronological (3 month adjusted) breastfed infant should be eating? She has taken to nursing once between 4-6AM, then takes about 9-12oz at daycare (often only an ounce or 2 at a time, spread over an hour - I send 3 bottles with 4 oz in each and she usually only takes 2 or 2 and a half, sometimes 3 over 8hours), and then wants to nurse every 1-2 hours at night from 6p-9 or 10, then goes down for the night. Does this seem ok?? I've been to see the LC and know she can get a lot in a short amount of time due to OALD and OS, but I have to block feed to avoid green poops. I am just curious as to how frequently on a daily basis other LO's this age eat, IE: every 2 hours, 3 hours, etc. or more specifically, how many times in a 24 hour period on average

Default Re: How many times does LO BF daily

Hi mom,
    I breastfeed my LO on demand.. Whenever she wants.

A breatfeeding never is going to be overfeeding

I BF on demand. She has put herself on her own schedule (for the most part) and it is pretty similar to the one yours is on. Except for last week when she was being especially piggy.
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

that seems fine to me. Are her wet and poopy diapers sufficient and is she growing ok? Is so I wouldnt worry. It is sorta o lot at daycare but not crazy too much.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

she poops every few days now, and they are usually yellow, but occasionally green (from o/s & OALD) and she's always pretty gassy. I know what on demand is and how it works, but was just curious as to how often, regardless. I had heard that they generally don't need to feed as frequently once they get really efficient at nursing, and think she's nursing more for comfort than eating.

"On demand" just means that you feed the baby whenever s/he wants. You don't worry so much about a schedule and looking at the clock.

For us, DS was feeding about every 2 hours in the "daytime" hours (mornings and evenings) and about every 2-3 hours at night. At daycare, he takes four bottles with 3 oz each. Now that he's 5 months old, it's about the same... but I usually get 4 hours stretches at night (and sometimes even 6 hours!!!).

DS has green poop pretty much all the time. The pediatrician said not to worry about it though. He said that the yellow poop is more for the infants, and that it becomes "different" as the baby gets older. I'm not sure if that's right, but that's what he told me when I expressed concern over green poop!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    "On demand" just means that you feed the baby whenever s/he wants. You don't worry so much about a schedule and looking at the clock.

For us, DS was feeding about every 2 hours in the "daytime" hours (mornings and evenings) and about every 2-3 hours at night. At daycare, he takes four bottles with 3 oz each. Now that he's 5 months old, it's about the same... but I usually get 4 hours stretches at night (and sometimes even 6 hours!!!).

DS has green poop pretty much all the time. The pediatrician said not to worry about it though. He said that the yellow poop is more for the infants, and that it becomes "different" as the baby gets older. I'm not sure if that's right, but that's what he told me when I expressed concern over green poop!
    DD had her 4 month well-check Friday and is 13# (in between 25-50% for weight) and in 25% for head circumference & length/height so I guess I am just resigned to being stuck BF'ng every 2-3 hours on weekends and 1-3 hours weeknights. At least (for now) she usually sleeps from 9-10P until 4-5A, then goes back to sleep til 6-6:30A

My DD is 4 months and eats about that often. I feed her on demand and feeding pick up at night (like you said) before she goes to sleep and in the mornings when she wakes up to make up for the "longer" stretches at night. Still, the longest stretch is about 4-5 hours.
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com

What you describe your LO doing sounds like about how my DD ate at that age. The more frequent eating in the evening is probably what is allowing her to sleep for such a long stretch at time (up to 7 hours is fantastic!!! I'm so jealous here!) so I wouldn't try to stretch out the time between feeds.

Around 4 months I think my DD was also starting to get more efficient, so what once took 45 minutes tapered off to 30 minutes, and now only takes 3-5 minutes. BTW, at 10 months, my girl still nurses about every 2 hours around the clock. This, of course, will be different for everybody. What is important is that you follow her cues, watch the wets (less about poopys- as she gets older these may become more erratic), and make sure her weight gain and your milk supply are both strong. Within these guidelines, you will work out a nursing rhythm that works for you.

It sounds like you're doing really well; keep up the good work!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010