Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: telling formula-feeding boss I'll pump

Question telling formula-feeding boss I'll pump

I'm due at the end of September, and when I come back to work after my maternity leave (I only get up to 12 weeks, and I'm the breadwinner, so I have to go back to keep a roof over our heads) I'm going to need to pump at work. There is a space that meets the requirements, and I am protected by the new Health Reform Law, so no worries there. However, my work is busy and continuous (read: 8 or 10 hour shift no breaks), so I would need my coworkers' day-to-day cooperation with "I'm going in here for 15 minutes, handle things without me."

I'm going to speak to my boss about this before I go on leave to try and get her support behind me, but I'm looking for advice on how to approach her. She had a baby about 1 1/2 years ago, couldn't wait to get back to work, and, so far as I know, only pumped for her first week or two back. I, on the other hand, can't wait to get away from work and meet this new person, and am planning to exclusively nurse/feed breast milk for the first six months (when we'll start introducing the solids, baby willing) and hope to never have to use formula, so from what I've read here I'd be pumping for all of baby's first year.

How do I make it clear that this isn't going to be just keeping comfortable for the first month back, but habitually feeding baby for the long term? And how do I convey that without implying criticism of the way she fed her baby?

Default Re: telling formula-feeding boss I'll pu

I would just tell her what your plan is. Try not to go in there expecting an argument, but prepare yourself with responses to things you think she might say just in case (just don't say them unless she brings them up). I don't think you necessarily need to say anything about habitually feeding baby for the long term unless it becomes an issue.

"When I come back from leave I will need a place to pump. I think the _______ would be a good spot. I'll pump ____ times a day for ______ minutes at a time (give yourself a time range so it's not specific- 2-3 times a day for 15-20 minutes a day or something like that)."

If she asks you how long you plan to pump I'd say something like, "at least a year" (that gives you some leeway in case you find you need to keep pumping past a year).

And remember if she makes comments or asks questions that aren't related to the issue at hand you can always just not respond or say that you don't feel like that's relevant to the discussion.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Don't mention formula, don't mention her choices, and don't overexplain. If you get into the whole "I want to nurse for at least a year" or "I need to be able to give my baby the best" or "I don't want to use formula" arguments, that could turn the discussion ugly. Stick to the basics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Don't mention formula, don't mention her choices, and don't overexplain. If you get into the whole "I want to nurse for at least a year" or "I need to be able to give my baby the best" or "I don't want to use formula" arguments, that could turn the discussion ugly. Stick to the basics.
    Don't mention formula, don't judge her choices, don't go into a speal about WHY you want to breastfeed. Just say you're going to pump. I wouldn't necessarily even volunteer the year-mark unless she specifically asks. Leave the end-point indefinite. I found that after the six month mark, I didn't need to pump as often, because Joe was taking in more solids (oh yeah, and nursing ALL NIGHT LONG every night! ). So your pumping schedule isn't set in stone for a year. Plus, your boss may be more freaked out about "covering for you" in the beginning, once you settle into a routine, she'll hopefully forget about it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

exactly! remove personal comments, wording, etc. This is a business accomodation issue NOT an opportunity to discuss parenting views. Keep it short, simple and courteous
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for your advice. Short and sweet definitely seems like the way to go. I think I won't specify a timeline or end date, especially since she and I are rarely on-site together, so after my coworkers get used to it she may not even be aware of how long I keep going.