Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still feeding most of the 2nd breast!

Default Still feeding most of the 2nd breast!

LO is 4.5 weeks old and I am still feeding him most of the 2nd breast at every feeding - am I not making enough milk? I thought after the 2nd week he would only be taking the first.

Also how do I pump to increase my supply? I've been pumping when he doesn't wake up at night - but this is tough since a couple of times he has woke up right after I've pumped so I have to give him the bottle - It's most difficult when he wakes 30 mins after I pump because I have to warm the bottle to room temp while he cries!

Thoughts?

Default Re: Still feeding most of the 2nd breast

There's nothing wrong with your baby wanting to eat both sides. There is no set way for a child to be in this matter. Some like one side most of the time. Some like both sides most of the time. Some babies go back and forth. As long as you are offering and feeding on demand there's nothing to worry about in this regard. It's perfectly normal and healthy.

Why do you feel you need to increase your supply with pumping? Are you going back to work or? The best way to gauge if you baby is getting enough milk is by output, so how are your baby's diapers? This link should be helpful. http://kellymom.com/momblog/bf/got-m...ughmilk-older/ It's also common for breastfed babies to not poop everyday. Basically, it's because breastmilk is so pure there's not a lot of waste. Your baby is just using the great food you are supplying.

If you baby sleeps, I would suggest that you just sleep and not worry about pumping. Then when your baby wakes up, you feed your baby. Don't pump if you don't have to. Are you uncomfortable is that why you are pumping? I would maybe just hand express just enough to be comfortable or just wear breast pads if you leak a bit. Your body will work out how much milk to make to meet the needs of your baby. If you pump you can force your body to think it needs to make more.

Yes, it can be challenging to feed your baby right after you pump, but milk is always being made - so there is milk there. However, I wouldn't pump at night. I have been in that situation and did it myself. I can honestly say I wish I'd just slept. I didn't need the extra milk.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Is there any reason that you are concerned about supply? How many wet and/or poopy diapers is your LO producing? If you have plenty of wets and poopy diapers there probably isn't a reason to worry about supply. My DS2 (like my first two) almost always takes both breasts each time feeds and he is almost 6 months old. (We joke that he knows how to count to two--and knows when we don't get there.) Really the only times that he only takes one is in the middle of the night when I am just settling him back to sleep.

My DS1 seemed to be convinced I had three breasts sometimes--after feeding on the second breast he would want to go back to the first.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    My DS1 seemed to be convinced I had three breasts sometimes--after feeding on the second breast he would want to go back to the first.
    Ooh, yes. I remember those days too!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

You'd know if you weren't making enough milk by counting nappies. If your LO doesn't produce enough wet & soiled nappies then you're not making enough. It is, however, a very helathy situation for your breast health to have both of them stimulated to make more milk by draining them frequently, which will give you an abundant supply and protect you from plugged ducts and mastitis. So count those nappies and then relax if they're in line. Let LO lead!
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I wanted to know the best time to pump while not disturbing LO's feeding. I want to build a stash for when we have babysitters and for when I go back to work. LO has plenty of wet and poopy diapers but he does not seem satisfied at mid to late day feedings - is he getting overtired/overstimulated? - seems fussy and I have a hard time keeping him asleep for his afternoon naps - wants to nurse-sleep or sleep in my arms and I get nothing done!. He is awake more (4.5 weeks old) but I still thought he should sleep most of the day, right?!

Pumping: most moms start pumping once a day, usually when they notice that their milk is most abundant. For most moms, this means pumping right after the first morning feeding. If you pump and your baby is hungry, don't feel like you must offer the pumped milk. Just put him back to the breast. Since babies empty the breast better than the pump, and since milk is always being made, your baby will be able to get a meal. Maybe a bit slower than he likes, but he will get fed. And the extra intense stimulation will build your supply!

Using both breasts at a feeding: totally normal. There's no reason to think that your baby will ever transition to single-sided feedings. Most babies who feed on just one side do so because their moms have extremely abundant milk supplies, or oversupply. Moms with normal supply can expect to use both breasts at a feeding.

Not seeming satisfied at the end of the day: totally normal for such a young baby. Milk supply does tend to dip a bit at the end of the day. Coupled with a baby who is already kind of tired, and it makes for a fussy evening. Best thing to do is to feed on demand, make the baby happy, and allow the baby to boost your supply (extra intense nursing, a.k.a. cluster feeding, will train your body to increase supply at the end of the day).

Sleeping: at 4.5 weeks, a baby may still be rather sleepy and snooze all day long, or he may be increasingly alert, spending long time periods either awake or nursing. Don't expect much predictability for a while yet!

Thanks Mommal!

already lots of good info - my baby always had both sides - just wanted to add to try and start from the side he didn't finish next time to try and maintain equal supply in both sides. It's not bad to have uneven amounts in both sides, it just feels/looks funny. I tend to always start on the right side no matter what, and i make about twice as much milk with my right side than my left.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

First off, don't warm the bottle Cold BM is fine. I very deliberately stopped heating bottles, first to help encourage baby to prefer nursing to bottles and secondly to prevent having to listen to baby crying while the bottle warmed. Now, with having to bottlefeed, I'm really glad I never got into warming bottles. The milk will be fine.

I would suggest getting a baby sling or a wrap for those fussy afternoon and evening times. You can walk around and do a few chores, and baby is eased by your warmth and motion, and you can even nurse while babywearing, which is good for your supply.

Most moms who will be returning to work pick a time of day where their supply is highest and pump then, starting a few weeks before they return. But....and this is important. You do not need a huge freezer stash. You'll be pumping at work. Most moms find that they really just need a few days' worth when they go back to work. That's so there's milk to use while they settle into their at-work pumping routine and in case it gets spilled or whatever. Then, at work, they pump the bottles needed for the next day. A baby should take 1 to 1.5 oz per hour they are separated from their mother. Friday's pumped milk is saved for Monday, and BM is good in the fridge for up to 8 days (unless you have a lipase problem) so it's entirely possible you would not need to freeze much, if any, milk, once you get past the first few days, unless you have an oversupply. You should not be using your freezer stash unless you are rotating it; it's not supposed to be where you feed your baby from, if that makes sense, or you'll run out of milk. Fresh pumped is better than frozen anyway. Before saving a lot of milk, check for lipase; there's nothing worse than finding that the milk you were relying on tastes terrible to your LO.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!