Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting, distraction, and 1 breast only

Default Biting, distraction, and 1 breast only

Recently my 5 mos old son got two teeth in. He did okay with them, only biting occasionally. But when he got sick and congested, he would bite so I couldn't nurse him. I would have to get him asleep then try to nurse him. For the most part it worked. If he was wide awake he would bite, every time. That was a couple of weeks ago and he still does that. And now he is only nursing on one side. I switch every time, I start him on one when he is asleep, then when he let's go, I switch him to other. Then he refuses, sometimes cries. I burp him and try but no success. Sometimes one breast goes a long time without nursing. I am worried it will negatively affect my supply. I don't pump because I don't get a lot. Never have.

Any advice about biting, and this one boob at a time thing??
    Jess

Mom to Gwyneth, 03/03/09, BFed 18 mos.

Mom to Leo, 03/04/11, currently BFing.

Default Re: Biting, distraction, and 1 breast on

Biting: when baby bites, remove him from the breast, say "No biting" and put him down for a bit. Eventually he should make the connection that biting means the end of the session

One breast per feeding: how's his diaper output? If it's okay, and he's nursing frequently, I don't know that I'd worry about this.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I did the same thing as PP with the biting. They really truly get the hang of it pretty well. Is the nursing on one breast a recent thing? Could he have an ear infection? I know when DS had ear infections early on, he would get really uncomfortable - have you tried different positions so the pressure isn't on his ear? - or have his ear checked if that could be a possibility - i think (but am not positive ) that teething and ear irritation can be related
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

The biting techniques don't seem to work. And the 1 breast thing is recent. It isn't a certain side. And we only do the football because of prior latch issues. He doesn't seem to latch well or for very long in the cradle position. So I don't think it's an ear ache or anything. And diaper output seems normal. I am just worried because sometimes one breast gets really full. I don't want to lose my supply.
    Jess

Mom to Gwyneth, 03/03/09, BFed 18 mos.

Mom to Leo, 03/04/11, currently BFing.

Biting take 2: consistency is key. It's like training a dog (no offense!). You just have to keep at it. Your baby is very young and it may take a while longer for him to make the mental connection.

2nd breast take 2: as long as you feed on demand and the baby has normal diaper output, you won't lose your supply. You mention that your unused breast gets really full And that your baby has difficulty in the cradle hold- those two things coupled with the biting make me wonder if you might have some fast letdown issues. Fast letdowns can cause the baby to clamp down or to make his latch shallow, because compressing the nipple will slow the flow of milk. They can also cause the baby to dislike certain nursing positions, because the milk comes out faster. And since fast letdowns are often a result of oversupply, this could explain why you get really full in between feedings (not necessarily something that happens at 5 months) and why your baby only wants to eat from one breast at a time.

Signs of fast letdowns:
    -frequent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    -baby may choke, cough, gag, or splutter during feedings
    -if baby comes off the breast during nursing, you may see milk squirt or stream from the breast
    -baby may "clamp down" on the breast
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"