Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: period??

Default period??

I hope I can ask this here! This is our first breast fed baby, and everything that I have done previously with our oldest doesn't apply so I feel like a new mom all over again.

I haven't had my period ... yet, post partum, and for the past 4 days, I've been having increasing cramps, yet no signs of starting?? I am getting really crampy so I'm wondering if it's a sign that my period is returning?? Has anyone else had this happen at 23 weeks post partum? Normal?

Default Re: period??

When your menstrual cycle retruns, you can expect it to be a bit wonky at first. Cycles which are longer or shorter than pre-baby, flow that is either heavier or lighter, more cramping, less cramping- your body is trying to figure out its new normal and that takes a while. Many moms feel like their period is trying to come back at some point, but they may experience months of false starts before the real thing recurs.

Since you feel like your cycle is maybe coming back, this is a terrific time to revue your birth control choices. If you've been relyingon breastfeeding to provide birth control, now is a good time to pick another method.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm 9 months postpartum, and I had some cramping last week, but nothing came of it (woohoo!!)
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

so this crazy cramping is normal? like i said it kinda feels like period cramping and it has been going on for 4 days, but so far, all bark no bite... no period. i

ive been off and on cramping akin to PMS cramps, but no periods yet. 5+ months PP. its probably hormonal. i mean, breastfeeding releases oxytocin, which is a hormone that causes the uterus to cotract.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    When your menstrual cycle retruns, you can expect it to be a bit wonky at first. Cycles which are longer or shorter than pre-baby, flow that is either heavier or lighter, more cramping, less cramping- your body is trying to figure out its new normal and that takes a while. Many moms feel like their period is trying to come back at some point, but they may experience months of false starts before the real thing recurs.
    I've been researching more of these AF threads since mine is wonky too. When you say "false starts" do you mean getting AF, then having it disappear for longer than normal then come back again or something like that? I feel that's whats happening to me. I'm going to POAS pretty soon if I don't get it since its been a super long cycle (as if I've skipped a period). We're nursing at newborn levels here, through the night so wondering if that's enough to hold it off?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I've been having dips in my supply for the last 2 months with intermittent cramping, but so far no period. No bleeding at all, actually. So I attribute it to a "false start".

And as far as fertility goes, it's my understanding that once it returns, it returns, even if your nursing frequency picks back up, and even if your periods stop again.

Of course, I only had two periods between my two pregnancies, and they were like 6-8 weeks apart, so who knows what'll happen this time
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5;
    When you say "false starts" do you mean getting AF, then having it disappear for longer than normal then come back again or something like that?
    I think that does happen to some moms. Particularly if the baby really picks up his/her nursing frequency, and perhaps starts nursing at night after sleeping through. Even if your cycle disappears for a while you can't assume that you're not ovulating, though. You could just be experiencing a very long cycle.

Another type of false start would be to feel crampy, feel PMS-y, feel like you're on the verge of getting a period... And then nothing happens.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had those exact symptoms the month before my period returned. I felt in every way like I was getting it except there was no blood flow. The next month, she arrived for real. So definitely prepare for the fact that you are very likely going to ovulate soon (if you haven't already)!

ETA: And it was pretty much at the exact same timing too, because AF showed up at 7 mos. for me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think that does happen to some moms. Particularly if the baby really picks up his/her nursing frequency, and perhaps starts nursing at night after sleeping through. Even if your cycle disappears for a while you can't assume that you're not ovulating, though. You could just be experiencing a very long cycle.

Another type of false start would be to feel crampy, feel PMS-y, feel like you're on the verge of getting a period... And then nothing happens.
    Thank you for the quick reply I had a long cycle, a short cycle, and now i think i'm in a long cycle again, and I did have a false start of the latter variety you described as well during this long cycle. I DON'T want to get pg is the thing, so my default has always been to assume ovulation and this irregularity just messes with my mind after living my whole adult life thinking late/no AF=pregnancy. Also it sucks that the pg tests are so expensive!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog