Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore breast?

Default Sore breast?

I am currently nursing a 14-month-old. We nurse about 3 times a day (morning, afternoon, and before bed). For the past 5 days, we had been on vacation, so I was nursing him more often because he wouldn't go down for naps on his own, and he woke up more often at night. Therefore, I was probably nursing about 7-8 times per day during this time.

This brings me to my current situation. It started with both nipples being sore upon latching. My son is a gymnast when it comes to nursing, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that. Then, yesterday, my whole breast started to hurt--just one. It actually hurts more to the touch than while nursing. I don't feel any lumps, so I don't think I have a plugged duct. It was so sore last night that I couldn't even sleep on that side.

Any ideas what might me going on? I've nursed for 14 months and only had a milk blister way back in month 2, so I've been relatively lucky with nursing-related pain and problems.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sore breast?

So what you're experiencing now- it doesn't feel like that blister you had way back when? Nipple blisters often crop up again when a baby is teething and into toddler gymnastics.

What you describe makes me think of thrush. It's a pretty common cause of pain when it occurs after months of trouble free nursing. The fact that you're in more pain when NOT nursing than when you ARE nursing also kind of points in that direction. So, any burning, itching sensations? Flaking, peeling skin? Slit-like cracks? Nipples unusually red or pink?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the response. The blister has not reemerged, thankfully, and I don't really have any of the other symptoms you've mentioned--just the internal pain. If it is thrush, how do I treat it?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html. That link covers everything you never wanted to know. Also, I suggest searching the forum for thrush threads- lots of good information!

That being said- no itching, burning, flaking, redness, etc., and I am thinking that you may have something else going on. Maybe a deep-seated plugged duct that you can't feel from the exterior of the breast. Or perhaps even the beginnings of mastitis. So be alert for any fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, aches, pains, red patches or streaks on the skin of the breast. If you see those, you should probably see the doctor for some antibiotics.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; August 4th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is it the whole breast? If it's just one part of the breast it might still be a plugged duct, even without a lump that you can feel.

Soreness in both nipples when nursing a toddler always meant ovulation for me. Have your cycles returned?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

It's just part of the breast....maybe it is a plugged duct way in there. I'll look into that. Thanks!

So I just nursed my DS right after his nap so he'd be really focused. He stayed on my affected side for about 10 minutes (I also massaged my breast for a while before he woke up), and the pain seems to have gone away. Is it possible that the plugged duct worked itself out? Is that how it works? I really don't think I was just engorged because I went through that a lot when my DS was little because he was a super night sleeper.

It sounds to me like a plugged duct. I had the same pain (or sounds of it) about a month ago (DS was 14 months also) and it was on the underside of my one breast. It didn't feel like a large lump like a clogged duct which I've had earlier on. It started after sleeping in a different bed and a different position than usual, so I figured that had something to do with it. It did work itself out after a couple days. I nursed more often on that side and it felt better each time he nursed. IT would get a little sore again unti he nursed again, but after a couple days I was back to normal.

If you do end up with thrush. I found this site which was helpful. http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html
    I think I also had a minor case of thrush for two months. I never had thrush with my daughter and when my son had it in his mouth I didn't feel any pain on me, so I didn't think about it until I suffered with it awhile (and weaned to 1-2 nursings a day). Oh well lesson learned and a new home treatment option discovered.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

That does sound similar to what I'm experiencing. It is on the underside of one of my breasts, and I had been sleeping in a different bed because we were out of town. I was also probably sleeping in a different position because we were cosleeping, which is something we typically don't do. I'll look into some ways to treat a plugged duct. I really don't want to increase my nursing because I'm going back to work in two weeks, and we've just weaned his day feedings, but if I have to, I have to. Thanks!

I got back on 8/15. I only added one or two and only to that side. Mainly because it hurt and I knew him drinking would help. My son decided to wean this week. We were only feeding 1x a day and occasionally two. Now he refuses. I guess at least he chose instead of me having to choose when.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.