Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exercise while nursing

Default Exercise while nursing

Ok, so I'm starting a new exercise regime that is pretty strenuous I have lost all the weight I gained while pregnant but was already about 50lbs overweight when I got pregnant. My LO is 3.5 months old and she does very VERY well with nursing. When I pump, I get anywhere from 4.5 to 5 oz of EBM.

The exercise also comes with a nutritional guide to follow. Basically what it is is 45 minutes of very strenuous cardio. There is no weights involved, just cardio. The nutritional guide is having me eat about 2500 calories a day based on my weight !!

My question is: would any of this decrease my BM supply? I desperately want to get to a healthy weight and this is the only thing I can think of. I am the type of person that if it takes me a year to lose 50lbs, I won't stick to it. However, if it takes about 6 months, that's a goal I can look forward too.

So please let me know your opinions, professional and otherwise, on this matter.

Thanks!
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

Default Re: Exercise while nursing

i have been doing a very strenuous exercise program for about a mth and i eat around that many cals but i was told to do this by my ob because i have pcos and the best way to control it is to be at a good weight. my doc basically told me never to be hungry. if i am hungry i should eat because its my body telling me it needs more energy. but he also warned me to make sure i was really hungry and not just eating because i was bored lol! he also warned me that even more important than cals is not drinking enough water. he suggested i drink twice as much on days i sweat it all out! good luck with getting rid of the lbs!! do you have a rainbow at the end picked out? mine is a new pair of silver jeans!! i have not spent more than $10 on non maternity pants in so long i cant remember!

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

You can go ahead and try it. I'd just keep an eye on my supply. If you feel it's starting to decrease you can add in more calories. Weight Watchers has a really good plan for nursing moms. I believe the WW leader told me that they keep it at about a pound a week to lose for most nursing moms to be on the safe side. I'd be wary of anything that pushes more than 2 pounds a week of steady losses. WW is great though.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thanks guys. I am definitely guzzling the water! I was nervous about the calorie intake to begin with but it makes more sense now. Because I'm working so hard my body needs more nutrients! I have tried WW and it was awesome. This time however, I want something different. I lost 25 lbs w/WW after my first child. I never worked out though and therefore I wasn't tone. But 2 lbs a weeks is my goal. I do know that if I hit a plateau it might just be b/c I'm gaining muscle and not fat. So I'm going to hopefully stick with it and definitely pay attention to my supply. My little Noelle is a chunk! She loves to eat. She is 3 months and 13 lbs...so hopefully she won't lose any b/c I'm working out...tha would be backward!
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

From what I've read of the research, it's pretty unlikely your milk supply would be significantly affected unless you were extremely undernourished or dehydrated. So if you just drink to thirst, eat a varied diet, and aim for gradual weight loss (1 to 2 lbs per week seems reasonable), your supply shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--