Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: have I made my baby hate breastfeeding?

Default have I made my baby hate breastfeeding?

My LO is 4 months old on the 10th and EBF. He's always been an extremely fussy feeder. His birth weight was 8 lbs 7 oz and now he's 16 lbs 1 oz. He was diagnosed with silent reflux two weeks ago and takes prevacid.

My healthcare provider gave me flack about his weight gain in the beginning, and ever since then breastfeeding has been all about stress and not at all pleasurable. He's my second baby, so I thought it'd be easier this time. I became hyper-vigilant about his weight gain and feedings, offering the breast at every grunt or cry. Now at almost 4 months, he seems to only want to eat when STARVING (4-5 hrs during the day) and longer at night. When he does feed, he seems uninterested and lethargic even after such a long stretch. I know he's gaining well, but the feedings are so frustrating and usually end in tears. I don't want to force him but I also want to make sure he gets enough.

Anyone been thru anything similar?

Default Re: have I made my baby hate breastfeedi

Yep. silent reflux baby who refused to nurse unless sleepy or asleep and that took work. And she was in the 3% for weight. Reflux babies are smaller sometimes. My plan was nurse nurse nurse through every nap and all night long. Between 5-6 months she became an avid nurser and ditched the pacifier on her own. She is avidly nursing at 33 months.

ETA - it has not always been easy, but I am enormously proud of my efforts to provide her with breast milk and have had big rewards in the way of happy nursing once we hit our groove.

Yep! BTDT. My oldest had silent reflux. He didn't gain as well though as your lo, thats Great! He was well within normal though. I used to have to hang over him while he sat on his bouncer to nurse him or walk around. Those were the only ways he would eat without me having to fight him all the time. If it makes it any easier he got a lot better by about 6 to 9 months and nursing became enjoyable. "this too shall pass" Hang in there mama. He is now a very healthy 5 year old and those times are a distant memory.

Thanks for sharing ladies! It's so nice to have the support of other mommies. I guess I was just needing to hear that there may be light at the end of the tunnel . Every once in a while we get a nice nursing session, but they are few and far between.

DS2 has silent reflux and was on Zantac and now Prevacid, and nursing him was miserable until he was AT LEAST 6 months old. I don't remember exactly when we both started to enjoy it more, it was all kind of a blur. He is still nursing at 21 months and although there are new annoyances that come with nursing a toddler, it is not nearly as stressful as his early infancy.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine