Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skipping a day, Pumping in the car?

Default Skipping a day, Pumping in the car?

I went back to work this week and have been transitioning pretty well. I pump 3x a day (2 breaks and lunch) and create about 3oz per session. I have added an extra mid-night session as well to send 4 feedings to daycare each day. Other than baby not wanting to take very many bottles yet (prefers breast of course), things are going well.

A question though of course...

1) 1 day a week I work off-site away from my office at a location where I cannot seem to find a secure / private area to pump. Of course I know employers are required to provide a space, but if I can't discreetly find a location, I'm kind of embarrassed to ask around much and demand such, I'm just not comfortable... Is it a bad idea to skip one day of pumping each week? If so, I'll probably look around some more or possibly use my car.

2) Is it fairly easy to pump in the car? I'm guessing I can use an adapter but have any of you tried this? (discreetly pumping in the car in a crowded parking lot). I think it would be a skill that will be useful to have in other situations where I have the occasional 4 hour meeting off site at unknown locations as well.

Thanks!

Default Re: Skipping a day, Pumping in the car?

I wouldnt skip a day. Youll be uncomfortable and it will likely effect your supply. I pump in the car all the time! I use a nursing cover and no one is the wiser! I also have a car adapter.
    Last edited by @llli*Jenna562; August 3rd, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Skipping a whole day of pumping is probably not something you want to do.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I pump in the car all the time, and it's easy. And much better than skipping a day. If you still have a little LO, skipping is not good for you or your supply. Later, like when LO is 11-12 months, you could. I work 1 full day a week and when LO is around that age, I pump wean and it works out. I'm really full, and it kind of hurts, but do-able.

How I would sit in the car to pump...put up the sunshield in the front window. Then you could either use a nursing cover if you are concerned about the side windows or you could hang something over the windows so you have a bit more freedom. I keep some light blankets in the car that I trap in the windows. I sit in the front seat, but if I sat in the back, I'd probably just use a nursing cover.

Put on my simple wishes bra -- I think it looks strange under clothes, so I prefer to not wear it all the time, and pump.

I have pumped in a closet at a wedding, and there are a few mamas who pumped in the bathroom at work.

I like car pumping. I listen to the radio, and its not bad. Like driving pumping too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just wanted to chime in here...congrats on your committment to pumping! I agree that skipping a day is not the best solution. Pumping in the car will definately help you out - I recommend it. In fact, pumping while driving will save you loads of time. I realize some may not think this is safe, but I did it with no problems. A car adaptor works well. Just got all set up with my pump (used the Simple Wishes hands-free pumping bra, available at Target, this was my favorite, www.simplewishes.com), slipped on a nursing cover, strapped on my seatbelt, and off I went. I would often pump more ounces while driving because I had more time to do so and wasn't sitting there staring at the milk coming out. Listening to books on CD in the car while pumping is also nice. You can do it! Where there's a will there's a way. Keep up the good work!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Pumping in the car is easy! I've done it while driving, while riding, while sitting in the parking lot next to bikers. It just takes a little planning. When I know I need to pump in the car, I wear a nursing cami under a loose regular shirt. When I'm ready to pump, I can unhook my bra and cami under the overshirt and pull up the Medela handsfree bra over my cami. Then I can hook up under my regular shirt and no one can see anything and I'm not flashing my belly either. It does kind of look funny to have all this stuff stuck under your shirt but no one would be able to see anything even if they tried. I've not had good luck using a nursing cover because it gets in my way and bothers me, but we haven't had much luck nursing with a nursing cover either. However you decide to do it, I would suggest practicing a couple times at home before doing it for real. That way you know how to keep from flashing too much skin and you'll get faster at it with practice. Good luck!
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

Thanks for the tips! I've found that some days I get pretty busy and it's hard to get in 3 pump sessions as well so knowing how to use the car can help me escape at lunch and make sure I get in that 3rd session on normal days as well in addition to my off site day.

Must find hands free bra now :-) Would be useful during the normal day too I've found so that I can multitask!

Was running slow home from work today, ouch! I definitely do not want to go all day without pumping, very uncomfortable.

I'm done pumping now, but I travel for work, and back when I was pumping, where I felt too uncomfortable to ask a CLIENT for a place to pump , I pump in my car. No problemo.

A hands free setup is ESSENTIAL. You can just cut (small! smaller than you think!) holes in a sports bra.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sisterling View Post
    I went back to work this week and have been transitioning pretty well. I pump 3x a day (2 breaks and lunch) and create about 3oz per session. I have added an extra mid-night session as well to send 4 feedings to daycare each day. Other than baby not wanting to take very many bottles yet (prefers breast of course), things are going well.
    with the rest.

FWIW, I had added an extra session at night like your midnight wake-up call (mine was 3:30 am ). Unless you really need the milk... Well, let me just say that I ended up donating a TON of milk in my freezer stash due to my night pumping. It was great to donate, but it would have been greater to sleep when I really needed it. So, take that for what it's worth. If you find you really NEED it - you can get up and pump. Otherwise, I wish I'd slept, mama. I pumped FT at work from when my daughter was 12 weeks old until she was a year. It can be done! I set my Outlook to remind me to pump. I recall a friend telling me once you start to skip pumping sessions, it's easier and easier to skip more... then next thing you know you're in trouble. So, I was really diligent about not skipping.

I had a hands free called Made by Moms Pumping Band. I liked it more than a sports bra, because it fits over a regular nursing bra and a shirt, etc.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

You can find a Simple Wishes bra at Target or online. BRU has the Medela version. Or you can use a sports bra. I use 8 oz bottles, so I find the hands free bra does a better job of supporting the big heavy full bottles.

I don't take my shirt off when I car pump. I just put the bra on and pull up my shirt, then pull the shirt back down. Then I take the bra off when I'm done.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!