Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about milk production

Default Question about milk production

My baby is 6 days old and breastfeeding is going well. I noticed though that when my milk came in my breasts became very large and hard. Now into day 4 after the hospital my breasts do not get nearly as firm. When I breastfeed the baby is definitely getting lots of milk as I see it coming up over the edges of her mouth, my only concern is that my supply is not coming back as it should or is this normal? Baby eats every 2-3 hours and is going about 15-20 minutes a feed. Her weight also is going up after the initial hospital decline. Any insight would be appreciated.

Default Re: Question about milk production

Sounds like your doing great! Not being engorged is a good thing! I didn't get engorged either at first...but then we had to wake him every2 hours to feed till he gained more weight...then once he did, they said to let himwake on his own. Well after feeding every 2 hours for 2 weeks...all of a sudden he was going 3-4 hours between feeds and you guessed it...engorgment! But as I understand it, as long as you are nursing, you ARE producing milk. It's supply and demand. The more she eats, the more you make.

BTW...Congrats on you new baby!!! Keep up the good work Momma!

don't be afraid to call your local lll leader she can help
    heres a link to search for your state
    http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

what are the babies wet diapars like? and poops thats how to tell if they are getting the milk they need
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/normal.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pixle View Post
    My baby is 6 days old and breastfeeding is going well. I noticed though that when my milk came in my breasts became very large and hard. Now into day 4 after the hospital my breasts do not get nearly as firm. When I breastfeed the baby is definitely getting lots of milk as I see it coming up over the edges of her mouth, my only concern is that my supply is not coming back as it should or is this normal? Baby eats every 2-3 hours and is going about 15-20 minutes a feed. Her weight also is going up after the initial hospital decline. Any insight would be appreciated.
    It sounds like things are right on track!! Your breasts aren't supposed to be all firm & hard once your milk begins to regulate to babies needs! Sounds like things are going perfectly. Come back with any more questions!!

Hi there

Sounds like baby's doing well! Here is an article that can help you determine if your baby is getting enough to eat:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!