Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain between feedings

Default Nipple pain between feedings

DD is just over 3 weeks old. My nipples were sore and scabbed at first -the LC at the hospital said that she's noticed that redheads always seem to have some skin breakdown on their nipples at first. Not sure how true that is, but I've worked hard to deepen DD's latch and it's pretty good for the most part. Nursing itself is fairly comfortable. She does tend to slip off a little towards the end of a feeding when she's just comfort nursing, but I'll break suction and take her off when it starts to feel pinchy. My nipples have since healed (I alternated lanolin, APNO and breastmilk), but they still feel sore and sensitive between feedings. They feel like they are constantly erect. I have noticed some occasional blanching, but I wouldn't say it's more sore during those times. I've used a warmed up rice sock and it feels ok while I'm using it, but doesn't really seem to help long term, and I can't really go around with one stuffed in my bra all day, lol.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is a more or less normal part of adjusting to nursing? I had issues with tongue/lip tie and thrush with my first for the first several months, so I'm not sure exactly what's in the range of normal this early on. Any tips/suggestions for dealing with this?

Default Re: Nipple pain between feedings

I think I would want to see the LC- and not the one at the hospital, who apparently buys into the "sensitive redhead" nonsense. My guess is that what you are experiencing is simply a result of baby being young and small and a novice nurser, and giving you some compression of the nipple when he nurses. Compression can cause pain, skin breakdown/cracking, vasospasms. But I am reluctant to say that the pain you have is caused by vasospasms because you don't notice increased pain coinciding with blanching, and because if I understand you correctly, the rice sock doesn't seem to relieve the pain except when you are using it. With a vasospasm, you would probably notice color changes in the nipple when you feel the most pain, and a rice sock would probably relieve the pain until the next feeding. I'm also reluctant to suggest thrush because you've had it before and you probably remember what it feels like.

Therefore a trip to the LC for some in-person assistance sounds like a good idea!

I have to admit, I am wondering if it could be thrush again. I do remember it hurting more during nursing with DD1, but some of the soreness is reminiscent of the thrush pain. I've been taking probiotics since before delivery and didn't have any antibiotics this time, and I used the APNO while I had open areas on my nipples. So I thought I'd be able to avoid it, but maybe those measures are just making it slightly less painful than before? Does having thrush once before, with a different nursling make you more susceptible to it?

I am going to see if I can get in for an appointment with an LC this week, and maybe start using the APNO again just in case. We see our GP next week for a checkup, so if an adjustment in latch doesn't work, I may see if he'll give me a script for diflucan. Last time I had to take it for a month to clear it up!

Thanks for the help mommal, as always!

Having thrush with a previous baby doesn't cause you to be more susceptible to thrush. But it does indicate a possible underlying susceptibility. Does that make sense?

Good luck- I really hope this is just a simple latch issue that can be fixed with good positioning. Or something like that. I think I'd prefer that to thrush, personally...