Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work and afraid...

Default Back to work and afraid...

So here is my situation, my dd has been gaining well according to her pediatrician and has not asked me to supplement of anything. She was born 5-25 weighing 6lb 4 oz so she is 10 wks tomorrow and weighs 10 lbs 9 oz at last apt on 7-25. At home she feeds on demand so I dont know if Im not producing enough to feed her in 1 sitting to make it last a while? Hard to measure what you cant see. I was supposed to start back to work on Tuesday so we started introducing her to daycare on Monday. I realized my grand supply I had been storing up really wasnt much when I barely made 14 oz with all of it. So emptying my stock had me worried. I startd pumping every 2 hrs while she is away to make enough milk for next day. I was only able to pump around 12 oz and sent formula if she needed more. She finished all of her milk and today I have again been pumping the same rate and only got 7 oz as of right now. I dont want to supplement but I am afraid I will have to if I go back to work. My leave time has run out and getting push back about not returning to work yet but I cant pump every 2 hrs at work.... I AM SO CONFUSED on what to do an suggestions on increasing supply? Is my supply low? If my supply was decreasing wouldnt she be getting fussy? Could my supply change because of stress? How do you know if you have a low supply? She has normal output. is any of this normal? should I just stay home? Does it seem about right for 10 wk to eat 3-4 oz apx every 2 hrs?

Default Re: Back to work and afraid...

I have seen this link posted on several threads: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

It has helped me to express a lot more milk when I pump. Good luck to you!

I think 1 to 1.5oz per hour is the approximate 'normal' range of intake for BF babies. Here is a link about that: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html . And here is a link on bottle-feeding a breastfed baby that you may want to discuss with the daycare: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html .

I doubt your supply is low, because your DD's weight gain seems good. I'm pretty sure that if you had low supply her diaper output would be low. Also, I think that stress can affect your supply. However, the amount you can pump is not necessarily indicative of the amount your baby gets at the breast because she is more efficient than the pump.

Do you want to stay home? Can you afford it? Are you getting push back about not returning to work from your husband or your boss?

Congrats on your daughter! Stress can definitely impact the amount of milk that you produce - so it's definitely important to stay calm and confident! It sounds like you are making enough milk for her. Babies usually drink about 1 oz to 1.5 oz of milk per hour that they are away from their mothers. 3-4 oz for every 2 hours sounds fine. My 5 month old eats 3 oz every 2 hours.

This link (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html) can help you figure out the amount to put into the bottles.

Pumping every 2 hours that you are away from her is a good plan. That is what I also do, and I end up with 12 oz with 4 pump sessions. It's *just* enough to feed DS, who takes 4 bottles of 3 oz each. Don't worry about having extra. You only need to make enough for the next day, and if you want some for emergencies, you could fit in an extra pump session in the middle of the night or on the weekends.

As long as your DD is gaining and having enough wet diapers, you are doing everything right.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

The amount you pump isn't really a good indication of how much your baby is getting when she nurses. Babies are much more efficient than a pump. You may not be completely emptying while pumping. You might want to make sure that you have the right pump, that you are using the right size breastshields (Medela has 4 sizes and I was amazed how much more I got when I found the right size), that all the parts on your pump are in good shape and connected correctly (like the membranes), etc. There are also some tricks to helping you get more while you are pumping like doing hand compressions, using warm compresses, etc that can help. And sometimes it's just about getting used to the pump and being able to relax while you are doing it. I had a hard time pumping for my first and ended up switching to formula. This time with the better pump and the right size breastshields, I'm keeping up a whole lot better.
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mandy314 View Post
    I think 1 to 1.5oz per hour is the approximate 'normal' range of intake for BF babies. Here is a link about that: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html . And here is a link on bottle-feeding a breastfed baby that you may want to discuss with the daycare: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html .

I doubt your supply is low, because your DD's weight gain seems good. I'm pretty sure that if you had low supply her diaper output would be low. Also, I think that stress can affect your supply. However, the amount you can pump is not necessarily indicative of the amount your baby gets at the breast because she is more efficient than the pump.
    All great information.

1-1.5oz/hr you are away. As much as possible pump as often as you would nurse your baby. And keep in mind that a baby who's mom goes back to work will often just nurse a little more at night.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.