Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thawed milk after 24 hrs

Default thawed milk after 24 hrs

Hi!

I know that LLL recommends using thawed milk within 24 hours. Does anyone know why we should use it in such a short time frame? I only ask because my dcp did not use a bag of milk and i hate to throw it out.

thanks!

Default Re: thawed milk after 24 hrs

My understanding is that previously frozen milk has had some of its natural antibacterial components damaged by freezing and thawing, so it's not as resistant to bacterial contamination. It's not that it goes bad right away, just that you should really consider using it ASAP.

I have used some that was thawed longer than 24 hours. It was fine, tasted fine, and I mixed it into fresh pumped milk to help overcome any issues with immunities. And it was only one bag. Not a whole freezer full.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

great idea to mix it! you know how awful it is to look at a bag and consider the possibility of tossing it

'Zactly. I was NOT tossing it. I could have also used it to make cooked baby food, if I was into that sort of thing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i had asked the dcp to use that bag first but she did not... so when i go to pick him up i see it in the fridge and i cringed! i was so distracted i ended up carelessly carrying a poopy diaper around the room, dripping poop on everything! it was one of those really leaky poops and it hadnt absorbed into the diaper yet. i was swinging around the dirty diaper like it was my job to spray poop everywhere. and it was everywhere! i use cloth there and no one else does so i felt like she was thinking "those stupid cloth diapers" and this crazy BF mom. i didnt want to complain about the milk on top of my episode. when i got home i saw there was a big smear of poop on my foot too.

That story so belongs in my new poop chit chat thread over in elimination
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I would (and have) still fed milk that was thawed over 24 hours. I just give it a sniff test, and if it smells ok then I go ahead and give it. I figured if it was too far gone then the baby would reject it, but they never did.

As far as daycare goes... I used to actually NUMBER the bottles in the order I wanted daycare to use them. And I always put the oldest milk as bottle number 1, and so on. And I even lined the bottles up in the frig at daycare with bottle number 1 in the front, and number 2 behind that one, etc. That way it was a no brainer, they just grabbed bottle 1 from the front and used it first. If you're not bottling the milk before you drop it off, could you actually put numbers on the bags in the order you want daycare to use them?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    As far as daycare goes... I used to actually NUMBER the bottles in the order I wanted daycare to use them. And I always put the oldest milk as bottle number 1, and so on. And I even lined the bottles up in the frig at daycare with bottle number 1 in the front, and number 2 behind that one, etc. That way it was a no brainer, they just grabbed bottle 1 from the front and used it first. If you're not bottling the milk before you drop it off, could you actually put numbers on the bags in the order you want daycare to use them?
    That is exactly what I do. Or, I number the ones that matter - like if I use one or two frozen and the others fresh.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I am sorry Erin, but I am laughing about your poop flinging at the DCPs. Tears are streaming down my face.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    i was swinging around the dirty diaper like it was my job to spray poop everywhere.
    No, that's your LO's job.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous