Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast to Sippy Cup?

Sierra Vista, AZ

Default Breast to Sippy Cup?

My daughter is 4 months old and won't take a bottle. She did it once for twice when she was 5 or 6 weeks, but then screamed like crazy when my DH tried again, so we just stopped trying.

But, I know that weaning will be here before I know it the way that babies grow. So, my question is when it comes time for her to try drinking from a sippy cup, will she catch on without using a bottle? Or, do I need to try to get DH to give her a bottle again now before it's waaaaaaaayyyyy too late??

Default Re: Breast to Sippy Cup?

My son also refused to take a bottle. When he was around 5 months old we introduced the sippy cup. Surprisingly, he liked drinking from the cup and got the hang of it pretty quickly. We never went back to bottles. I recommend the Tommee Tippee or Nuby cups. Hope this helps!

You don't need a bottle to eventually wean. My oldest daughter could drink from an open cup before she was 12 months old, although she got the hang of a straw cup sooner. And, they don't have to wean when they are drinking from cups either.

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

South River, NJ

my son is 5 months & uses a sippy cup, he never took a bottle..... he HATED them
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

My son never used bottles, never needed or wanted them. When it came time to introduce a breast alternative (water, in our case), he preferred a sippy cup with a straw. We saw no need to give him a bottle as then he would just have to transition away from that anyway!
    Mom to amazing twins! Both nursed happily until 3y6m.