Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: very erratic schedule

Default very erratic schedule

Sorry to be posting again...having one of those days where I wonder if I really have any idea what I'm doing. Collin is 4 weeks old. At 2 weeks he seemed to have put himself on a 3 hour schedule. But then we started with the gassiness and green poop and I thought it could be oversupply/too much foremilk, so I started 2 hour block feeding. Now he has no schedule whatsoever...he can sleep 3-4 hours, or want to feed every 1 hour, there's no pattern at all. He might cluster feed all evenig and sleep well at night...or cluster feed all morning and sleep all afternoon...or cluster feed all afternoon...etc. Some days he cluster feeds ALL day and evening! Is this NORMAL?? Is he comfort nursing? Is he hungry? Maybe I dont have an oversupply issue and i'm keeping him on one side too long? But the poop is still green and his belly still aches i.e crying and straining while passing gas.
    I hate to think that I am causing this discomfort in him. Mornings are the worst because DH is at work and I have to get my little girls ready and off to school...so if he starts freaking out, I have to let him cry...and thats very distressing for us both. I thought having a third would be a breeze...lol...

Default Re: very erratic schedule

From my experience with two babies I have nursed this is normal. Just when you think you have a schedule with them, it changes! I let my babies tell me when they were hungry. This might have meant every hour or it might have meant every 5 hours. I have yet to meet a momma that did not have a fussy baby when it came to gas. It is hard to watch and handle because there is not a ton we can do. Work the legs, give them warm baths... but they are smart, they will stop eating when they don't want any more and eat when they want more. My second nursed for comfort and still does at 12 months. That was hard for me because I thought nursing was just for feeding, not just calm down. I soon learned I had a much happier baby if I allowed him to soothe himself on the breast. Plus I did not have to worry about yanking a pacifier away at 2 years of age. He never did really take to one of those.

Go with the flow, tomorrow might be a whole different story!

thank-you! It's nice knowing everything is normal! I always thought my DD's were gassy because they were on formula, so I mistakenly thougth DS would not have gas trouble on breast milk..lol...oh well, wishful thinking I guess. He wont take a pacifier either...why would he when he can have mommy right?

The erratic nursing schedule can be normal--a newborn doesn't really settle into a routine for quite a while.

The green BM's are still concerning though, becaust it means he's still not getting enough hindmilk. Have you considered stretching your block out to 3 or 4 hours?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Wink Re: very erratic schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    thank-you! It's nice knowing everything is normal! I always thought my DD's were gassy because they were on formula, so I mistakenly thougth DS would not have gas trouble on breast milk..lol...oh well, wishful thinking I guess. He wont take a pacifier either...why would he when he can have mommy right?
    I think it IS normal, honestly. Mine went through the whole green poop stage just last week. In time it passed. The gas is sometimes AWFUL and his pain is sometimes tough on him, but then this too shall pass. Just let him tell you when he needs to eat.