Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help - reflux?

Default Please help - reflux?

My 10 week old won't nap. We can't figure out why. He'll take cat naps here and there, but he always wakes right up. (He WAS taking mondo huge naps.)

I'm nursing on demand, but sometimes, he won't nurse much more than 5 minutes on one side. I'm thinking this is why he wakes up so quickly?

Also, how much spitting up is TOO much? How do I know if him spitting up is reflux?

He's generally happy-go-lucky, but we can tell he's exhausted. He doesn't sleep through the night or anything...
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Please help - reflux?

Hi there... Just wanted to give you some insight on reflux. First off, most babies have some degree of relux, so often times it's just a matter of lifestyle modifications (frequent smaller feedings, keeping baby upright for 20-30 minutes after feedings, etc.). If the reflux is really bad, usually doctors will suggest medications at that point. I had a huge spitter-upper, and everyone kept telling me it was "normal" - come to find out my son has pretty severe reflux and milk, soy protein intollerance. In my opinion, he spit up too much because he would spit up 3, 4, 5, sometimes even 6 times after every meal. When he would spit up, it was pretty substantial amounts - enough to make me have to change his clothes (and sometimes even mine). It's hard to tell, though, cause sometimes what seems like a lot of spit up really isn't. I'd say you're better off trusting your instincts on this one - if he seems to be spitting up more than what you feel is "normal" (and yes, all babies do spit up a little), then it may be something to look into.

Another issue that could be causing, or contributing, to the spitting up and the lack of sleeping is gas. It's really important - especially with reflux babies - to burp them often and burp them well. Any gas in their bellies that you don't help them bring up can cause pain in their bellies, and when they do eventually burp it can cause them to spit up and therefore cause even more pain in their throats. The nursing for only 5 minutes could also be a way your lo is self-regulating since full bellies make reflux symptoms worse. Sorry I can't be more help, but definitely trust your instincts. Try to modifiy his feedings, keep him upright, even look up which foods you can avoid to help the reflyx syptoms and see if things gets better... Good luck!!

I really appreciate your help! Thanks for replying!

At 10 weeks, fast feedings are often totally normal. Babies become more efficient at the breast, and can get their meals very quickly.

Have you tried a swing to keep your LO napping?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He won't nap in a swing or anywhere but ON me or in his bed. He'll sleep a little in the car, but it never lasts (he'll literally wake up at the stop sign or light!).

So, can I ask this:
    He eats SO well at night and again in the morning. Then, somewhere in the middle of the day, it's like he's just snacking. He's not sleeping well, and it's as if he's just eating b/c it's something to do. Sometimes, it's SHORTER than 5 minutes, but he comes off and he's smiling at me like I just gave him chocolate! But then the cycle continues, and he is quickly sleepy, doesn't sleep, and then wakes up, we try to eat, etc. It just keeps on like that. Am I doing the right thing by feeding? When I offer, he takes. If he doesn't want it, he either turns his head or fusses at me.

I just don't want him to be exhausted and unhappy. He's gaining perfectly well (almost 11 weeks and already 16 lbs) and diapers are more than normal (he's a MACHINE!).

My daughter just wasn't like this with the BFing.

Thanks!

Another question - can a breastfed baby overeat? Can that cause them to spit up?

i was going to suggest wearing lo in a sling or a wrap but i dont know if that would help if its really hot in your house. maybe a sling would be better but i dont know though since i use a wrap. my little man is a reflux baby and gets very fussy at times and at that age i would just put him in a wrap and wear him and he would get a really good nap and i could still get some stuff done!

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011