Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I had to stop abruptly...

Default I had to stop abruptly...

I had to start taking medication that isn't bf-ing compatible and therefore had to abruptly stop. What can I do about the engorgement? I haven't bfed or pumped since last Monday, 8 days ago, and I'm still super engorged.... thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: I had to stop abruptly...

ouch how often would you say you were nursing or pumping before you stopped?

Aw! Do you have any interest in returning to breastfeeding? You can call Infantrisk at (806)-352-2519 to ask when the medication will be out of your system and you can return to breastfeeding. Obviously, breastfeeding would relieve your engorgement, and at this early date, you would probably be able to get most or all of your supply back.

If you want to just go ahead and wean, you may want to try cabbage leaves in your bra, and drink sage tea to lower your supply. It can take a while. In the meantime, you may need to hand express here and there to keep from getting so engorged you are likely to get mastitis. Getting a hot shower will help your milk come down, and you can massage your breasts to avoid any hard lumps (which will make you more likely to get sick). Abrupt weaning can be pretty rough on your body, make sure that if you get flu symptoms, a high fever, aches and pains, or if you have a hot red spot on your breast, to call your doctor.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with PP. Also, if you are interested in still breastfeeding, Infantrisk will be able to tell you for sure whether or not your medication is really contraindicated during breastfeeding. Frequently, doctors and pharmacists will advise weaning or pumping and dumping even when there is no danger from the medication.

But, if you do want to wean, cabbage leaves are amazing at reducing engorgement and lowering supply. I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

You could try pumping just enough to relieve the engorgement and then slowly wean yourself off pumping. It's dangerous to your health to just stop removing the milk.

Cabbage leaves worked for me. If you get them really cold then kind of crunch them up a bit and put them in your bra it relieves some of the pain and will dry your milk up pretty fast.

Ibuprofin also helps with the pain and inflammation.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous