Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little supply for 3 1/2 month early baby

Default Re: Little supply for 3 1/2 month early

hang in there! Keep trying. Your milk is perfect for baby!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfdeal View Post
    kst & duae - thank you both very much. I was silently contemplating throwing in the towel and I appreciate the support and it has certainly inspired me with a new sense of determination to get through this. Thank you both so much!
    You're quite welcome. How are things going?
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Hi! Congratulations on your baby! I know it seems like a month in the NICU is like forever but you will get through this time! I am so glad that you have kept up with the pumping. Keep going. My baby was in the NICU for 40 days, born at 33 weeks and 2 days (those 2 days count!). When I was in the hospital, I felt so insufficient. During my stays with my baby, I would only give 25cc bottles, while I passed other moms who had a whole 2.5 ounce medela bottle filled. But I kept at it. It's very easy to play the numbers game when you're trained in the NICU. Every cc is measured. I did what I could to pump while I was with my baby, kangaroo care, met with a nutritionist and pumped as often as possible. When we came home from the hospital we were still only bf 2 times a day. It took us about 2 weeks to go all feeds bf. My baby is almost 5 mos now and I'm still supplementing and working on supply. But I'm double what i pump while my baby was in the hospital. Don't give up! It gets better and once your home you will be so much more comfortable!!

I can also relate to being discouraged by a LC...things that people say can be very discouraging but hang in there. You are doing awesome! I wish that I had found this forum when my baby was in the hospital! I just connected here about 3 weeks ago! If it wasent for my sisters, who are also bf moms, i would have given up for sure. Keep going! You're doing great!

Things are still about the same supply wise, she's actually caught up to what I expressed as she's eating 30-something mls every 3 hours and as I'm only producing 2/3 of that at my best they're going to start supplementing with formula incrementally so that the milk will last a little longer as I continue to pump, and I am continuing. After five days of pumping every two hours, I'm again considering going back to three. Will probably wait the full week before I decide but as there's been no marked improvement in supply with pumping I don't see much of a point in continuing at that rate, plus menial amount in the containers every two is mildly disheartening.

I was also informed that I cannot exclusively breastfeed upon going home, as she was premature they want her getting a specific kind of formula for six to eight months after discharge for nutritional purposes. Has anyone heard this before? I feel a little bad because it sort of gives me an 'out' so to speak, as I have a way to feed my LO that's "required" by doctor so I don't feel as bad with my smaller supply and it would give me time to see if I can't get my supply going.

But overall, things aren't bad, and I'm fighting the good fight! Recreational latching/nippling continue today and while she can't latch properly due to size, she does show interest and occasionally suck a few times here and there! Thanks for all the continued support, I do appreciate it!

No, I have never heard of that and it sounds to me like sabotaging your efforts. The most I have heard is using milk protein in with bottle feeding breastmilk but that is only temporary. I would consult another neonatologist.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Is pasteurized donor human milk an option? I personally have donated to a milk bank through www.hmbana.org, and they say that their average recipient of milk is 2.2 lbs (and that's average!). I don't know what current supplies of preemie milk are at various banks (and a full-term mommy can't donate for a preemie, I understand), but if you have any interest in going that route for your LO, I thought I'd mention it.

It's sounds like you are fighting the good fight. Keep it up. It's great that she shows an interest in the breast. That's wonderful.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I think I may have worded my post poorly in regards to the home feeding. I'm welcome to breastfeed at home, but a certain amount of the meals have to be a specific kind of formula. As in, 3-4 of her meals would be the previously mentioned formula while the rest would be breastmilk. (This is a ballpark figure, I'm not sure what the ratio of milk to formula the meals would be) I believe they mentioned it has a certain calorie count, but I'm not sure if that was the only thing or if it has separate nutrients to help with her development catch-up.

I will inquire to donor milk, but I do wonder if they didn't offer for a reason. Either way, it's certainly worth looking into! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by @llli*bfdeal; August 9th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

maybe once you get the baby to the breast well your milk supply will increase. I'm sure they whole thing is very stressful to you.
    Keep trying don't give up. Have you talked to somebody else about the formula? I'm sure there are plenty of babies born early that have thrived on breastmilk and no formula.

My daughter got no formula after her second day of life and I made them stop the fortifier after a week. She was born at 33 weeks and her lowest weight was 3.10. She lost nearly a pound due to severe apnea and digestive issues. I don't think formula is necessary if you can get your supply up. And I think that using formula on a regular basis will decrease your supply. But I'm not a doctor. Being a staunch objector of formula I would get a second opinion from a doctor not affiliated with the hospital. I will say that my experience is that doctors recommend formula as a quick fix to weight gain, because all they are interested in are the charts.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I asked around to some friends in the medical field and they say it -CAN- be done, but the reason they want her on the formula is for the calorie count and development. Supposedly it has stuff in it that is more likely to help her play catch up on development with her brain/eyes/organs. Though they are saving my milk for when they nipple feed her to make her more accustomed to that taste than to the formula.

I peaked at a whole ounce yesterday at my 3pm session! And have since, slowly gone back down? The heck? It went down to 20 mls for the next few sessions until 3 pm today when it hit 15 mls...and now at 9, it's down to 10 mls. I've kept up with my fenugreek, tea and oatmeal...I even pumped at the bedside more times than usual today. Hoping I'm just fluctuating and not losing the small supply I have. :/