Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I know something is wrong...

Default I know something is wrong...

For the past 10 days my DS has been quite a different baby than he was for the preceeding 21. I have been telling myself over and over again that his behavior is normal, but now I think that there is actually something wrong. I hope I'm not just being an overly paranoid mother!

So, here is the deal; DS used to be like clockwork: in a great mood until exactly 2 hours since his last feeding, then very upset until he ate. Then in a great mood again. You could set a clock by his stomach! Then, 10 days ago he started becoming grumpier and grumpier and wanted to feed more like every 1 hour. Sounds like a growth spurt, right? That is what I told myself for the first week.

Now it is becoming clear that he isn't just grumpy- something hurts or is uncomfortable. He is now demanding to eat most of the day. Nothing else quiets him down- wrapping, walking, driving, cuddling, swinging, I've tried it all- keeping his head elevated, the colic hold (pressure on the belly does seem to help for a few seconds). When I mean he wants to eat all day- for example he will remain on the breast for several hours- the entire length of a movie- and still suck fingers/arm when I take him off as if he were still hungry. I keep him drinking as much as possible- compression and all. He certainly isnt eating for that whole time, though.

There are times during the day when he is happy- yesterday it was very early in the morning after not eating a whole lot overnight. Then again after lunchtime. But what I am noticing is that he will often be happy until he does one particular thing: he opens his mouth wide, like he is yawning, and does something with his tongue and/or throat- then starts yelling in pain. He does it after eating, sleeping, and other times when he is calm and happy.

He has also started spitting up a lot more- yesterday it was like 7 or 8 times. But it doesn't seem to bother him at all. And he often gets hiccups several times a day.

He is getting enough food- he put on 11oz last week! Plenty of wet and poopie diapers ( LOADS of poopie diapers- the man poops all the time) and the poops look mustardy/seedy and yellowish brown. He is 4.5 weeks now, but was a 36 weeker when he was born. He also always sounds congested, and in the beginning it sounded like he couldn't breathe when he was trying to eat- like something was blocking his windpipe while eating. That has improved significantly. Soft palate problem, perhaps?

Any ideas? I wonder about reflux, but it certainly is an odd case if it is at all. I am at my wits end and can't spend 9 hours straight on the couch- it is making me seriously depressed! Plus I hate to hear my LO in pain.

Any ideas? I am totally at a loss!

Default Re: I know something is wrong...

reflux can make babies noisy that too, that noise you are hearing I would talk to your Ped, but I think if I were to venture a guess it would be reflux (of course I'm not an expert ) Sometimes it doesn't always present itself in a typical way. Sorry you're stressing mama These babies are so unpredictable in the early days.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I will start by saying that it is not abnormal for a baby to want to spend all day at the breast. Chances are that mama is all he needs and most times he's just comfort sucking. However crying and excessive spitting up are something I would be concerned with as well. Reflux is a possibility, and typically the first that a doctor will rule out by giving meds and seeing if they help. It would also have the most immediate response.

Another route, and one that many of here have taken, is an elimination diet to see if something you are eating is bothering his belly. For myself, I have cut out egg, soy and dairy. I would say peek around the Allergy section of this forum and see if anything sounds familiar to you and if you might be willing to try it - the worst case is that you have eliminated foods unnecessarily.

Another suggestion, prompted by the frequency of hiccups, would be lots of air in the belly and therefore gas. Do you burp him frequently? Do you have a fast flow that causes him to swallow a lot of air? Have you tried putting him down on his belly?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I do burp him frequently- sometimes with better luck than others.Seems like if I don't get a good burp in the first minute then I can't get one at all. usually fling him over my shoulder to burp- seems to work best- but I have tried lying him on my leg and the baby sit-ups. It actually seems to work if I lie him down flat for a minute then pick him up and burp him. I never know how long I should continue to try and get a burp out of him. And should he burp after each boob or just the first one?

I don't think I have a fast flow- he doesn't struggle to keep up or anything. If anything I think I have a slow flow- he often falls asleep at the breast and I have to perform breast compressions to keep him drinking.

As for elimination, I am already off milk- he spent some seriously unhappy nights before I cut out milk, and he would get that characteristic ring around his anus. I cut out milk but kept other dairy and those symptoms are gone. My DH had a milk protien intolerance when he was an infant (ironically he drinks more milk now than anybody I have ever met). Where can I find the allergy board? I can't see it under the forums- there are just a few groups available, like solids, supply, pumping, the spanish languange groups and the age groups. No allergy forum.

Thanks again for your encouragement and help. Oh, and should I call my dr about these symptoms or wait till my appt next week?

If he improved some when you cut milk I would cut the rest of dairy and see if that helps. I bet it will. Make sure you read labels very carefully and look up hidden dairy so you'll know what to look for.

Here is the allergy forum.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

my little man has reflux that is aggravated by a dairy allergy. the symptoms are identical to what you described! also they might ask you to cut all dairy for two weeks before they will give meds and even then you might not get any because your baby is gaining weight really well. we were told no meds for that reason. i control it really well through my diet though and i can even eat some cheese every once in a while ( i cant eat a hamburger from the grill without a slice of cheese! good luck

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

I agree, cutting all dairy is your best bet. I don't know that you need to run to the doctor. In my experience they typically recommend switching to formula, which you don't need to do. Let us know how it goes!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn