Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 Week Old Will Not Stay Latched

Default 12 Week Old Will Not Stay Latched

Hello,
    I am a very unhappy SAHFTM of a 12 week old girl. Breastfeeding has been going pretty well. The past couple of days though, she will feed for a few minutes and then come off the breast and then she will get upset if I continue to try to get her back on. I have tried many different positions, but she just won't stay on and will get more and more upset. I am worried because I don't understand why this is happening. I don't think it is acid refulx because I can lay her down and she does not seem uncomfortable, but I am not sure, sometimes she will smack like something tastes bad in her mouth. I don't think I have eaten anything different, though today I ate a lot of brownies, which I don't normally do (but I wouldn't think that foods would have an effect while she was eating, I would think it would be later on). She does not seem distracted, it just seems like she does not want to eat and the more I try, the more upset she gets. I feed on demand, though when I think about it, she may only eat 5 or 6 times in a 24 hour period (which really doesn't seem like enough, but I feed her whenever she wants and she is a happy baby for the most part) I give her pacifiers, but she has never had a bottle. Right now, my L breast feels full because she didn't nurse from it effectivly. I am very distressed and I don't know what to do.

Default Re: 12 Week Old Will Not Stay Latched

and congrats on the baby!

Has she been gaining weight?
    Does she have the normal numbers of diapers?
    Babies can become very efficient at nursing and many moms get worried that their little ones are not getting enough when the baby has just become more efficient. If she's not acting upset (other then frustrated that you keep trying to feed her) she could just be getting enough.
    Do you co-sleep? If you do she could be taking in most of her milk at night.
    Last edited by @llli*codepink; August 1st, 2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: smiley didn't work
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Thank you for your welcome and your fast response!!! :-) I don't know if whe has the normal number of diapers, everything has been going so smoothly, that I just don't keep track of anything any more, but I will for a few days--thank you for that reminder, I know that is a good way to see if she is getting enough. I don't really co-sleep (I would love to though!), I am too worried about mushing her. I know I most likely won't but it just scares me. However, I do have an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper attached to the bed where she sleeps and I do often doze when I nurse her in the mornings around 5 or 7, till around 9 or 10 (one of the perks of being a SAHM :-)). I am not sure how long and how often she should be feeding at this age, I think this afternoon, (I was trying to pay attention), she fed for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, maybe closer to 4 minutes on one side though. Is 5 times a day enough? It really just doesn't seem like it would be, but that may be all I do on some days.

The times and the length will vary alot from baby to baby and mom to mom. There really is soo much that can influence it. check out these sites to see if it helps: www.nancymohrbacher.com or www.kellymom.com
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I would start doing some careful diaper and feeding counts. It's quite possible that your baby has become a fast nurser, and is getting all she needs in a short amount of time. But nursing just 5-6 times a day is on the extreme low end for a breastfed baby, and you want to make sure (via diaper count) that she is getting enough. If there's any doubt in your mind, I would take away the pacifier. Some mellow babies forget to "ask" to eat, particularly when their sucking needs are being met by the paci.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I would start doing some careful diaper and feeding counts. It's quite possible that your baby has become a fast nurser, and is getting all she needs in a short amount of time. But nursing just 5-6 times a day is on the extreme low end for a breastfed baby, and you want to make sure (via diaper count) that she is getting enough. If there's any doubt in your mind, I would take away the pacifier. Some mellow babies forget to "ask" to eat, particularly when their sucking needs are being met by the paci.
    It could be normal, but you're right it does seem like a low number of feeds per day and your mommy instinct seems to be going off so I'd pay attention to diapers for a little while just to make sure. And like mommal said, try leaving the paci out of the equation if you can and offer the breast if she seems like she wants to suck.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous