Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: maintaining supply

Default maintaining supply

I have been working full time since my son was 3 months old and he is now 8 months old. I have noticed a big drop in my supply lately and as it gets later in the day, he seems less and less satisfied with feedings and sometimes I have to give him a few ounces of my frozen stash in a bottle. My frozen stash is now so low, and I am not pumping near as much at work anymore either. I try to squeeze in extra pumping sessions when I can, take fenugreek, eat oatmeal, make lactation cookies/muffins, and just about anything else I read about. Could it be possible that I just can't stimulate any more milk production or maybe I am misinterpreting his fussiness as not being satisfied?

Default Re: maintaining supply

I would stop supplementing... when you give him the frozen milk, do you pump? If not, you're telling your body not to make that milk anymore. Is he teething?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I try not to supplement. I only do it when he is inconsolable and it's the only thing that calms him down, which makes me believe he is still hungry. I do pump when I supplement but I never really get anything. I know pumping isn't a good indication of supply but that makes me thing he's gotten all he can get from me. I don't believe he is teething at the moment, he has his two bottom teeth but they don't seem to bother him anymore. Usually the only time I have to supplement (if I do at all) is before he goes to bed, once again making me think it's a supply issue since it's the end of the day. It's all such a guessing game!

Yeah, I know. It's so hard to understand them when all they can do is communicate by crying.

Will he take a pacifier? One thing I do with my daughter when she's acting like that is bounce her on the exercise ball with a pacifier in her mouth.

What does he do if you just keep switching him back and forth between sides? Does he just get more angry?
    Tracie

Mommy to

No pacifier. He's a thumbsucker. And yes, he just gets more angry if I try to go back and forth. I have tried to nurse him more frequently but it seems like if its sooner than 3 hours I just can't get my milk to let down.

Are you saying that you don't nurse more frequently than every three hours?
    Tracie

Mommy to

What makes you think your milk isn't letting down?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

He only wants to eat every 3 to 4 hours. I can still feel my milk let down, and I know when I don't because he fusses and cries and there is no milk in his mouth. And he is extremely frustrated.

This is easy for me to say, because I'm not the one who will have to do it, but: Just keep switching sides. Your body will make more milk than just every three hours. It may be slower than he wants, but your body will make it. Also, what kind of nipples are you using on the bottles? You want to be using the slowest flow available so he doesn't start to prefer the bottle.
    Tracie

Mommy to

with Tracie. Also, this isn't a quick fix, but try to fit in more pumping sessions throughout the day, especially on the weekends when you don't have to worry about work. Do them immediately after a feed. You may not get much/anything, but it will send the signal to your body to make more overall. Eventually.

It's a catch-22, because you need your baby to nurse to make more milk, but if nothing is there he gets mad - but it's when there's no milk that he needs to be nursing. My daughter is the same way - gets easily frustrated @ the breast.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos