Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do you pump at night?

Default Do you pump at night?

i am wondering if i should be pumping at night in order to keep my supply up? it is always up and down so i am worried. I usually wake her to eat around 1 and she gets up around 5-7 on her own. Should i get up at 3 to pump?

Thanks

Default Re: Do you pump at night?

Is there a reason you feel your supply is low? How old is your baby?

It's not usually necessary to wake to pump, though some moms do it to get extra milk if they can't pump enough while they are at work. If you can at all avoid it, I would. It's not fun to wake at 3am for any reason, least of all to pump. I'd be more inclined to wake the baby to nurse at that time if you were concerned about your supply. But unless you think baby isn't getting enough (not enough wet diapers, drop in weight, etc) I wouldn't even suggest doing that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Is there a reason you feel your supply is low? How old is your baby?

It's not usually necessary to wake to pump, though some moms do it to get extra milk if they can't pump enough while they are at work. If you can at all avoid it, I would. It's not fun to wake at 3am for any reason, least of all to pump. I'd be more inclined to wake the baby to nurse at that time if you were concerned about your supply. But unless you think baby isn't getting enough (not enough wet diapers, drop in weight, etc) I wouldn't even suggest doing that.

I got up and pumped around 3:30 am until my daughter was about 6 months old. I wish I hadn't bothered to do it. I ended up with a ton of milk in the freezer that I donated. I should have just slept.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

We've talked about this in the pumping section off and on, but it bears repeating....if you don't HAVE to pump, then don't. There's no need to pump unless you have to. To quote Sarale, "there's too much pumping going on in the world." Funny, but true.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hey, thanks for the reply.
    My angel is 4 months old yesterday. The only reason i am concerned is that she will eat for like 3-5 mins (sometimes less) and when i flow slows down (more than one suck per gulp) she wants off. I make her take one side like 5-10 times per feeding.
    I am a new mom and just realized that a wet diaper is super wet (saturated) not just a little. I think she may not have been getting enough. They were not super wet. Last check up she was in the 15%. down from 24% on month 1. She has an appt tomorrow. The doc has not been worried about her. its just me. I currently dont get up but have been thinking about it. Maybe my supply would increase a little so she would stay on longer that 3 mins. I know have more than one letdown if she works at it but she does not want to. I eventually get tired and put the binky in her mouth so she does not yell.
    I dont like waking her because she is not a heavy sleeper and does not like napping even when she is tired and cranky.

thanks

The best way to increase your supply, if you're concerned, is to offer your breast more frequently. And I agree with Paige and others who said don't pump unless you need to. I often had to to get enough milk for the next day, but if i hadn't had to i would have been inclined to either do a dream feed or just sleep through. My son's always been a quick eater, so i just always offered more often. Are you cosleeping? Lots of Mamas here find it more restful for themselves and baby because neither one of you really have to actually wake up to nurse at night.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

It's normal for babies to start sleeping a longer stretch at night, which usually doesn't cause any problems with supply or weight gain. If you're concerned about her weight, you might try offering to nurse a couple extra times during the day. She may not be interested, but it couldn't hurt!

She had an appointment today? How did it go?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

She is now up to 12lbs 6oz which is 23%. She looks great and up to 69% in length. I really love that! She is growing. I think we have been doing better than before. Guess i will just keep feeding her on demand and offer her the breast until she is mad.. than switch sides. I just dont like to make her frustrated.

She does not want to sleep with me. Will fuss until i put her in her bed than she sleeps Been trying to "train" her but it has not been working. She will not sleep until i put her back.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaofemmalyn View Post
    She does not want to sleep with me. Will fuss until i put her in her bed than she sleeps
    My son just started to do that too! He used to not like the crib and like to sleep on me. However, for the past two weeks, he fusses when I lay down with him - but falls right asleep when I place him in the crib. It makes me kind of sad!

I'm glad that things are going better for you!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)