Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medela PISA..Ugh

Default Re: Medela PISA..Ugh

OK, I have been having that happen lately too.

1. relax.
    2. if you don't already have one, try a hands free bra so you can do compressions and massage
    3. try again in half an hour.
    4. do the stimulation phase thing again and try again
    5. try some mother's milk tea for the marshmallow, which is good for letdown
    6. check with medela
    7. replace the valves and membranes anyway.
    8. try a different size horn

It's terribly frustrating. That happened to me all weekend. I was over it
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Another problem that cropped up for me at this point was clogged ducts - they would lower out my output but then I never felt empty, and the clogs would get worse. It was a pain. What you're saying above makes me wonder if you're dealing with that. Do you have any tender spots on your breasts?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Have you tried different size horns? I had to go down a size around that time with Lilah.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Another problem that cropped up for me at this point was clogged ducts - they would lower out my output but then I never felt empty, and the clogs would get worse. It was a pain. What you're saying above makes me wonder if you're dealing with that. Do you have any tender spots on your breasts?
    No tender spots. Since I seem to get milk by hand without a problem, I'm not sure that's the issue, but understand why you might think so.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you tried different size horns? I had to go down a size around that time with Lilah.
    Good question. I have the larger horns (I think they are .24 or something). I will see if I see any improvement with the standard issue ones I have at home. If not, maybe try a slightly smaller size?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    OK, I have been having that happen lately too.

1. relax.
    2. if you don't already have one, try a hands free bra so you can do compressions and massage
    3. try again in half an hour.
    4. do the stimulation phase thing again and try again
    5. try some mother's milk tea for the marshmallow, which is good for letdown
    6. check with medela
    7. replace the valves and membranes anyway.
    8. try a different size horn

It's terribly frustrating. That happened to me all weekend. I was over it
    Thanks. I'll try again when I get home. Can't take another break today.

I would try a smaller size. IF it hurts though, stop immediately! And put your regular size horns on.

I just ordered new tubing today in case that is part of my problem... but my tubing was used for a year before and now for 3 months, so maybe it's breaking down.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

stupid question but when y'all are talking membranes do you mean just the membranes or the valves and membranes? I found I needed to change the membranes every 1 - 1.5 months and the valves every two sets of membranes

I never responded well to the pump and it definitely got worse at 9 months(ish).
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I have a PISA. When I was pumping for DS, my output definitely decreased at about 9 months. Replacing the valves and membranes helped a little, but my supply never really came back up. I thought it may have been problems with the pump, but never bothered to get another one since I pump weaned soon after a year.

After DD was born, I decided to try the pump again before springing the $ on a new one. Well, here I am a year into pumping for DD and the pump is working great. I now know that my problems we related to how my body was reacting to the pump, obviously not the pump itself.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    However, I do notice that when I'm single pumping, if I put my finger over the plug for the side I'm not using (it has a very itty bitty hole in it - that's not a defect, but the way it comes), it seems like I get a better suction/pump on the one I'm using. Almost like it's releasing air through that hole that's affecting the function of the pump.
    That's how my Medela PISA is too. It is so annoying! I can't single pump because it doesn't suck hard enough, unless I am holding my finger over it. I wonder why they made it that way?!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)