Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Medela PISA..Ugh

Default Medela PISA..Ugh

I am so glad I spent a car payment on a Medela PISA. Over the past 9 months, I have watched the quantity of pumped production dwindle. Seems I get less and less when pumping. I don't think I'm producing less because I still manage to get the required milk out of my breasts (4-4 oz. bottles) but I'm getting more and more by hand expression.

I used to pump 8 - 10 oz. at lunch (12:30PM) everyday with my Medela PISA. I would pump one breast at a time and it would pull out 4-5 streams of milk from a breast at once. In the past few months, I saw it dwindle to 5-7 oz. so I started splitting my sessions so I pump for 30 minutes at 11AM (double pumping both breasts at the same time) and again for 30 minutes at around 2PM. I figured emptying my breast an hour and a half earlier would help. Nope. Still getting around 6 oz. for the work day and I'd say only 3-4 oz. of that is with the pump. I have to hand express the remaining 3 ounces. I also notice that the pump seems to only pull out 1-2 streams of milk but if I go to hand express, I get 4-5 streams out of one breast using my hand. (Sorry, i don't know the proper terminology. Maybe it's 4-5 ducts?) I stop pumping because I can feel that I have milk(alot) in there but it's not pumping it fast enough and I have to resort to using my hand to get it out.

I don't know what's going on with my pump but it seems like it just pulls the milk to the front of my breast and I have to hand express it to get it out. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Default Re: Medela PISA..Ugh

Hmm, that does sound frustrating! Have you changed out the white membranes lately? Are you making sure all the parts are assembled properly? Just wondering if your pump is losing suction for some mechanical reason? Have you tried giving Medela a call to see if they can help you troubleshoot?

Also, I know it is quite common for a mom to become less responsive to the pump over time, so that could be a possibility for you too.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Hmm, that does sound frustrating! Have you changed out the white membranes lately? Are you making sure all the parts are assembled properly? Just wondering if your pump is losing suction for some mechanical reason? Have you tried giving Medela a call to see if they can help you troubleshoot?

Also, I know it is quite common for a mom to become less responsive to the pump over time, so that could be a possibility for you too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Have you tried replacing parts - especially, those little membranes?

I also think that your body gets used to the pump after a while and may just not respond as well. I also felt like it got harder and harder to pump around the nine month mark, and struggled with it in some degree until I pump weaned. Either I had worn out the pump, or my body just wasn't responding as well as it used to. I also had to do constant breast compressions to get the milk to let down.

That said, when it would get really annoying, it was almost always because I needed new membranes, or because something in the pump wasn't plugged in well enough. Do you have a little plug for double sided pumping - that thing needs to be in there FIRMLY. Every once in a while, I would take everything apart, and put it back together FIRMLY and often that would help.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Lots of moms see a drop in their pumping output right around 8-10 months. It's a good time to replace the membranes, check suction on the pump, and if all else fails start eating oatmeal for breakfast to up your production.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You will definitely get better output with double pumping than single pumping. Have you considered getting/making a hands-free bra to use so you can do compressions on both breasts @ once?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Yes, my membranes are new. However, I do notice that when I'm single pumping, if I put my finger over the plug for the side I'm not using (it has a very itty bitty hole in it - that's not a defect, but the way it comes), it seems like I get a better suction/pump on the one I'm using. Almost like it's releasing air through that hole that's affecting the function of the pump. That doesn't explain why I'm getting less even when I'm double pumping though.

JoMo - I'm not sure I understand what you mean for the little plug when double sided pumping. Do you mean single sided pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    JoMo - I'm not sure I understand what you mean for the little plug when double sided pumping. Do you mean single sided pumping?
    Sorry, I think that was only on my PIS, not the PISA.

Based on the loss of suction you're describing, I would call Medela. That doesn't sound right, and if air is escaping, that would definitely reduce the suction.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Sorry, I think that was only on my PIS, not the PISA.

Based on the loss of suction you're describing, I would call Medela. That doesn't sound right, and if air is escaping, that would definitely reduce the suction.
    I have, however, noticed that with my Freestyle, if I single side pump, the suction is a bit better, and that seems true for a PISA too. I think the power, per say, can all go to the single side, which is why it seems stronger when you single side pump. It could be that you aren't quite getting the right suction. Are your horns the right size? You can change sizes as time goes by.

At 8-9 months with baby #3, I ended up only single side pumping and going back and forth between breasts because I didn't get any output otherwise...and I had a 3 month old pump. So it's pretty common for output to decrease around then...it's frustrating to work through.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

3 Hours later, another 30 minute session, double pumping, and only got 2 oz. Finally stopped when I realized that NOTHING was coming out despite suction. Yet I feel a firmness, like there is milk in there....arrrrgghh. Guess I will be pumping in the car on the way home again. I hate doing that!