Thread: Medela PISA..Ugh

Default Re: Medela PISA..Ugh

(I am so freaking nosy!)
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

So, Saturday my husband and I went to BRU to pick up some diapers and Medela pump accessory replacements (downsize from 36 to 30mm breastshields, new membranes, and FINALLY a hands-free bra). With the new parts, I saw a slight increase in what I pumped, but only maybe a 1/2 ounce to an ounce. Then, after several pumping sessions later...at around 10PM tonight, I pumped again and it's like someone released the dam. Instead of pumping just 1-2 ounces on both breasts, I got 5..almost 6..ounces on both breasts. Halleluia! I don't know if it was the parts replacement or the persistent pumping, but I was even able to hand express afterwards.

Now, we did buy a pregnancy test earlier today but I haven't taken it yet. My hubby is excited for me to take it...so I guess I will go take it even though I don't think I'm pregnant. I love wasting pregnancy tests...(:note sarcasm

That said, thank you to everyone here for all your support. You are AWESOME. I'm not sure if this is a breakthrough or a incidental gift, but you all helped me a ton either way!

:wink:

~ Kelly

You. are. killing. me! Who buys a preg test and doesn't pee on it right away? I've had to stop myself from going into the bathroom in the pharmacy where I had just bought it

Seriously, though, for the increased output!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

So glad you're able to pump more! There is nothing more stressful!

I once saw a PG test in a Taco Bell bathroom when I was a teen. People take them in all sorts of places I guess.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Since you pumped so much, I'd save the pregnancy test Sounds like it might have been the horns that were the problem.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

No need for pg test....got aunt flo a week early today....she may have also been the culprit. Though I have had her visits for the past 4 months, it never seemed to affect my supply before....

~ Kelly

I agree with this! Currently using PISA for when visitors are coming, but need to return to work in 3 weeks. My DS is 8 wks & I am wondering how I'll provide enough BM, when I'm only pumping 2 oz a session. I've tried to add more sessions, but after BF session, I hardly get any milk pumped out. After stimulation phase, only get a few drops, so then I hit the button for another stimulation phase, which works in getting much more milk out.
    How long should I make my pumping sessions & what should be my output at this time? THanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*happynewmama View Post
    I agree with this! Currently using PISA for when visitors are coming, but need to return to work in 3 weeks. My DS is 8 wks & I am wondering how I'll provide enough BM, when I'm only pumping 2 oz a session. I've tried to add more sessions, but after BF session, I hardly get any milk pumped out. After stimulation phase, only get a few drops, so then I hit the button for another stimulation phase, which works in getting much more milk out.
    How long should I make my pumping sessions & what should be my output at this time? THanks!
    You should start your own thread so more folks see it

Output is variable, but if you are pumping after nursing, it's normal to not get much, if anything. That won't be an issue when you are at work.

Most moms who need to store a bit of milk to return to work pump when they have the most milk and store it up. You do NOT need a huge freezer stash to go back to work.

Time...most moms do OK with 15-30 minutes. Depends on how fast you let down, how much you need to pump, if you are EPing or not (because if you are EPing, you need to target a total pumping time over the course of a day to maintain your supply), that sort of thing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with Susan. I hardly get anything when I pump after nursing. When I was gearing up for heading back to work DS happened to take a couple of extra long naps and I was able to sneak in a pump for a decent amount. Remember, you really only need the first day's worth of milk or so before you go back. You'll be pumping for the next day on the first day and so on. After you get started you might be able to build up more.

You might try setting an alarm if baby is on any kind of a regular night schedule. A lot of women tend to get more at night. You also might try to pump maybe an hour or so after nursing so you've had a little bit longer to make milk.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    So, Saturday my husband and I went to BRU to pick up some diapers and Medela pump accessory replacements (downsize from 36 to 30mm breastshields, new membranes, and FINALLY a hands-free bra). With the new parts, I saw a slight increase in what I pumped, but only maybe a 1/2 ounce to an ounce. Then, after several pumping sessions later...at around 10PM tonight, I pumped again and it's like someone released the dam. Instead of pumping just 1-2 ounces on both breasts, I got 5..almost 6..ounces on both breasts. Halleluia! I don't know if it was the parts replacement or the persistent pumping, but I was even able to hand express afterwards.

That said, thank you to everyone here for all your support. You are AWESOME. I'm not sure if this is a breakthrough or a incidental gift, but you all helped me a ton either way!

:wink:
    Well, sad to say that my increased production only lasted a week and I promptly went back to pumping 2 oz. per session per boob and now I'm lucky I get 1 oz. per boob per session. I think I'm done....I'm burnt out trying to figure this out and I've given 10+ months, which I know I should be proud of. LO has zero interest in nursing anymore. My first time nursing, I'll figure out how to wean properly.

We plan to have one more child within the next year and I will be going into it with so much more knowledge thanks to everyone here. I will be back when that time comes more committed than I was even this time (I was eager to breastfeed at birth and made alot of mistakes at the beginning which I will not make next time....hopefully my next will be as easy to latch as my LO. Watch...next time around, I'll know what I'm doing and end up with a baby that doesn't latch and I'll be back here crying to you guys.

Thanks again. ~ Kelly

~ Kelly