Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to Help With Inverted Nipples

Default How to Help With Inverted Nipples

I have a friend who is having some issues with her baby nursing. She has inverted nipples. She has attempted to nurse her baby with a nipple shield, but has been unsuccessful (baby wailing and flailing and a flustered mom). She pumps, but has been supplementing with formula as well. For those who have dealt with inverted nipples, what has worked for you? I would really like to encourage her to try nursing again. Her baby is almost 5 mos. old and was a preemie (about 8 wks. early). I'm not sure if she has used breast shields, but I thought that there were other ways to coax the nipples out. Thanks for the help!
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Default Re: How to Help With Inverted Nipples

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firstbaby2011 View Post
    I have a friend who is having some issues with her baby nursing. She has inverted nipples. She has attempted to nurse her baby with a nipple shield, but has been unsuccessful (baby wailing and flailing and a flustered mom). She pumps, but has been supplementing with formula as well. For those who have dealt with inverted nipples, what has worked for you? I would really like to encourage her to try nursing again. Her baby is almost 5 mos. old and was a preemie (about 8 wks. early). I'm not sure if she has used breast shields, but I thought that there were other ways to coax the nipples out. Thanks for the help!
    When I had my 1st LO I had both inverted nipples. He managed to eventually pull one nipple out. In the beginning I used nipple shields and nipple guards to help protrude the nipple as much as possible. It was not easy, but I was very determined to bf my DS. Getting help from a LC will definitely help her and the baby. Just having someone there to help encouraged me to keep going. It took me and DS almost 2 months to get the latch right and eventually weaned him from the guard and shield. Glad she has a friend like you to encourage her and help her through this. Having inverted nipples can be very frustrating but with the right support and determination, I believe your friend can get through this obstacle. Has she tried expressing milk into the shield first before latching baby on? Sometimes it easier for the baby when they taste the milk and the letdown has started already. HTH.
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Big Brother Evan 3 years old 03/30/08 for 7 months

Constantly , at work, loves to all the time

Please excuse my typos!

Default Re: How to Help With Inverted Nipples

Hi mom,
    I have better said i use to have that kind of nipple but i tried and tried ( we tried my lo and i) and finally i coukd brestfeed my lo...just pump a a while before you brestfeed so your nipple is out...good luck..