Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: confused!!

Default confused!!

i have always thought i had an oversupply because i started out eping and i would pump 2 to 3 times what lo ate in a day. when i got him to breast i always felt engorged and he only ever ate one side at a time. it has been almost 2mts since i stopped pumping and he just last week started nursing off both sides at each feeding. i took this to mean that my supply was correct but now he feeds off both sides and is still very very hungry. should i get my pump back out and pump after feeds? any ideas about what caused this to happen? my nipples are strange as well they are still engorged looking before a feeding and they almost look white like i can see the milk though the skin not sure if its blanching the link given to me about it really didnt sound like the way my nipples look but the pain sounds right so maybe that is the problem? but would that affect my supply? how can i tell if my supply is low? i feel like he has less diapers but i think he is still in a normal range. 2 or 3 poo a day and wet every couple hrs and he is 4mths

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

Default Re: confused!!

What makes you think he's very very hungry after nursing? What happens if you put him back to the breast?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

i pretty much just keep him at breast. he ate for 3hrs this morning and was still showing hunger signs even after i put him down in his swing so i could make my 3yr old breakfast. he cried the whole time i cooked and then i put him back to breast and he nursed both sides again. he is doing this at night every feeding and in the afternoon now too. i try to just let him eat from me but i dont want him to starve either so i almost feel like i should thaw some milk for him but i know that can mess with my supply too.

Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)

think i might have figured it out!! just started cramping pretty sure its time for the monthly monster. i had one about a month after he was born and i was 3 days with low supply. it came right back though so i am thinking i should be ok. im gonna try to work on our latch a bit though too just in case my nipples are blanched from a shallow latch (the more i read about this i am pretty sure i have a shallow latch on one side)

I was about to ask - are you expecting AF? Or could you be pregnant? That will frequently cause a sudden loss of supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.