Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to introduce solids and water?

Exclamation When to introduce solids and water?

I exclusively breastfeed, I don't give her water only my milk. I haven't pumped yet, so it's straight off the boob. She's a little over 5 months and I've been hearing it's time to introduce solids, honestly I'd rather still to boob milk for as long as possible!! Looking for some guidance!! I have a mommy's group on facebook, but my Mom recommended asking on here too.

Default Re: When to introduce solids and water?

Welcome, and congratulations on making it to 5 months! This link covers signs of readiness for solids: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.HTML

It's a bit out of date WRT recommendations- more current research suggests that early introduction of solids may prevent allergies better than delayed introduction.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My DS is also a little over 5 months. I asked the pediatrician this past Friday what he recommended, and he said 6 months. I asked if it would be okay if we waited a little longer, and he said that he really recommends 6 months old for BF babies because if you wait too long, the baby might lose interesting in eating. I don't know if we'll really be ready at 6 months, but I wanted to throw out the pediatrician's opinion. We're going to try to focus more on DS's interest level. I think we'll *try* solids during his 6 month, but just see how it goes and let him more play with the food (instead of making sure he swallows it).

Oh, the pediatrician also told us not to worry about giving rice cereal. We should start with fruits/veggies instead.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

There's no hurry to start solids. Watch your baby to see when she is ready. There is a list of criteria (sits up on their own, loses tongue thrust reflex, develops pincher grasp, etc.) that you can look for to determine readiness. Of coarse, even when they have met these criteria, they are still only ready when they decide they are ready.

I highly recommend baby-led weaning. This way your baby can decide when she is ready for herself. I started my son on purees a little after five months and it was a huge waste of time. He wasn't ready, and he wasn't (and still isn't) into eating mush. I stopped, waited until shortly after six months, and started giving him slices of fruits and veggies. While he still doesn't eat much, he is far more interested in food and gets more practice picking food up and chewing.

In the end, you know your baby best and need to do what works best for you.

your link didn't go through! Thanks for the congrats!

thank you Phi that helps a lot!

Try: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

It's the "When will baby be ready for solid foods?" article, 2nd in the list.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I'm super happy when I can help! One thing that came to mind after posting is that my son is developing his pincher grasp by playing with food, so I didn't follow the list in its entirety. It sounds like you know you comfort level, so trust yourself and you'll be fine!

thanks Phi!! <3