Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in feeding time- 10 days old

Default Change in feeding time- 10 days old

My son is 10 days old and over the last 3 days I've noticed he is feeding for less time than before. He was eating for ~40-45 minutes a few days ago and taking milk from both sides but now he will feed on one side for ~15 minutes and won't take any from the other side when offered. He is having lots of wet diapers and 4-5 BMs/day so far. He was eating every 3 hours but now seems to be hungry after 2- waking up with rooting, hand sucking, etc. Is this normal or should I be concerned that he's not taking the second breast and only eating for 15-20 minutes? Thank you!

Default Re: Change in feeding time- 10 days old

Keep offering the other side, but don't worry if he won't take it. Lots of kiddos will only nurse from one side at a time. It's also normal to get faster at nursing, though again you may just want to offer after a few seconds of him being unlatched just to make sure he doesn't want to top off.

The best way to know if baby is eating enough is to count diapers. As long as you are getting 5-6 wet diapers per day your little one is getting plenty of milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Change in feeding time- 10 days old

with the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"