Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need encouragement, almost giving up:(

Default Need encouragement, almost giving up:(

This is my first baby. She is 3 weeks old. I have been having trouble breast feeding since the first day at the hospital. The first week my nipples were extremely sore and cracked. Just as I started to feel better I hurt my right nipple again when feeding. It looked like a blood blister and was so painful I had to express and feed for 4 days. Although I was feeding from my left and expressing from the right during this time my milk supply suddenly went down. I hardly seem to have any milk in my left. It does not feel full. When I massage and squeeze I get a few drops and when I try to pump I get a few squirts and then it stops. The right painful breast is better now and I have gone back to feeding directly however the supply in this breast drops towards towards the end of the day. My LO is typically not satisfied with her 5 pm feed and late night feed. She suckles and gulps and swallows initially and then starts to fuss and moves her head left and right. Sometimes she starts to cry when she is suckling. She also looks irritated and stressed through these feeds. She has never left my breast on her own. I have let her go on feeding to see how long she will go and she has fed continuously up to 2 hours before I pulled her off.

I do not know if I have low milk supply towards the evening. After I pull her off and try to hand express I get few drops.

I have kept feeding her even though I have no milk left and till my breast feels floppy and empty but she never seems to be full. Last night she went on crying for food till I finally resigned and gave her 60 ml of formula. After that she pooped a tonn and finally went to sleep. I feel so gulity now for giving her formula. I want to eclusively breast feed for atleast 6 months. I really need to know what is going on with me. Do you think this is a low milk supply problem?

I started on fenugreek today after reading some posts on the forum. There is no change so far. I really dont want to give formula again tonight but my breasts are empty and I have a feeling tonight is going to be a repetition of last night

Please advice. Anyone with similar experiences and anyone who overcame this please let me know it will be ok.

Thank you...

Default Re: Need encouragement, almost giving up

3 weeks is very young yet. and prime time for a growth spurt where they need to nurse more often.
    Are you counting wet diapars? thats the way to know if they are getting the milk they need to grow.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

that should be helpful to you.
    hang in there...

It's alll supply and demand. Let her stay on as long as she will. Do not assume that the baby is getting no milk. She wouldn't keek sucking if that were true. Your supply adjusts. It doesn't mean you are losing your supply just that your supply is adjusting to actually meet the needs of your baby. What you have when you first get your milk in is NOT the amount you want to keep! you don't want to leak all the time. It's normal for your breast to stop getting hard and engorged. Step away from the formula. Just accept the fact that a normal part of find your rhythm and getting you milk established in the first 6-8 weeks means non-stop feedings. We all spent the first 6-12 weeks on the couch in our PJs feeding the baby. That is your job right now. Let her stay latched for 2hours if that is what she wants to do. Remember that even if you fed and held your child for 12hours a day, that is still a 50% reduction in what she is used in terms of being with you. Get up in the morning with NO OTHER GOAL in mind. Set up a space on the couch or bed with the idea that that will be your island. That you will "work" from there. Keep the phones, the remotes and water with you. I got up to pee, change diapers and find more food. That's it. I did everything from the couch. Step away from the formula and the assumption that non-stop feeding means you aren't making enough. The only way she can get you to make the right amount IS to continually demand it. That is normal, right and good. Don't doubt yourself or this process. Feed the baby. As much, as often and for however LONG she demands. That is how it works. Stay focused. You can do this.

Way too lazy for formula

It's 100% normal to feel empty in the evenings, and full in the middle of the night and early morning. Feeling empty doesn't actually mean you don't have milk - you still have milk, and more importantly, even if you are empty, your baby needs to nurse so that she can signal your body to make more milk tomorrow.

So much of breastfeeding is a confidence game - if you think you have enough, and you nurse your baby on demand, you'll have enough! So with PPs. Find a comfy spot and expect to nurse most evenings, solid. That's totally normal. Newborns nurse all.the.time and never seem full. It's hard but it's temporary, something that we all go through with our newborns. Count diapers - if those numbers are right, she is getting enough milk! You can do this!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PPs.

Most of what you mention sounds entirely normal. Feeling empty or floppy? Normal, especially after you've been nursing a while. most moms start out overproducing, which is nature's way of making 100% sure the baby gets fed as she masters the art of breastfeeding. But long term you do not want to overproduce, since it's a waste of energy and sets you at increased risk for plugged ducts and mastitis. So eventually your body detects that the baby keeps leaving a large amount of milk in the breast after nursing, as starts to reduce supply to a level that matches demand more precisely. At that point, it is normal to no longer feel full or get engorged, and as long as the baby continues to produce adequate wet and poopy diapers, there is no reason to worry aout supply.

It is also very normal to have your milk supply fluctuate over the course of the day, as JoMo described. This can make the end of the day, when the baby is already fussy, extra challenging, and this is the time of day when many moms who have no intention of using formula end up cracking. But the best way to not use formula is to just not use it. Nurse through the fussy time, and your baby will train your body to make sufficient milk even at that natural low point in the day.

What concerns me in your post is the soreness and cracking you have experienced. I suggest getting some hands-on help from a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. When you have a latching issue, there's no substitute for a hands-on approach! But can you tell us a bit more, like when you have the most pain (beginning of a feeding, middle, end?), what shape your nipples are after feeding symmetrical like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical, like new lipsticks?), and who your baby's weight gain and diaper output has been so far?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The mommas have given you great advice here. I just want to chime in with some added encouragement. You can do this! You are doing this. Even though you are struggling right now you can make it through this hiccup.
    Melinda

Momma to S ('09) and A ('10)

Thank you for your support. Sorry for the late response , the last 2 days were spent feeding non-stop.

I thought I wasnt making enough milk and so my LO kept feeding all night. I am sticking to just feeding her on demand and its getting better now.

I have some additional concerns and issues. Please let me know if this is normal.

1. My left breast seems to be producing very little milk. When I massage and squeeze I get only a few drops of milk. Seems like a very slow trickle for the baby. When I pump this breast I get less than 15 ml of milk. Does this mean its under producing? I offer it to baby to maintain supply though. She does not like it

2. The other breast seems to make enough. I can feel it full and firm at the start of a feed. It gets softer to wards the end and then gets really really soft and empty. My LO continues to want to feed at it and cries if I take her off ( after 1.5 hours). Then she is quite for half hour and wants to feed again. At this point I feel drained out and also bit sore. I change the diaper 12-13 times a day. Lots of pee and atleast 3 poops.

3. Soreness has gotten better, however I use the nipple shield a lot these days. At first my nipples were cracked, now there are no cracks but it does look like a lipstick when LO is done. I think I have vaso spasms as well. I do the sandwich and put the nipple with the areaola in her mouth but it slips at times and then there is pain again. She seems to chomp down on my areola as well and hence I feel like my areaola nipple and entire side of the breast hurts after feeding Any advice?

Thank a lot!

My LO doesn't like my left breast as much either. We call the right one "The Chocolate Milk Side" Just keep offering the left as much as she'll take it. I always have the most luck starting on that side at night when she is sleepy. It's all supply and demand so the more you can drain it the better. And if the left side underproduces, the right side should make up for it. You might feel a little lopsided though.

The timing and length of feedings sounds totally normal. My son literally nursed all night long every night for 6 weeks. I know it seems like a lot (especially when you've just been pregnant and gone thru labor and aren't getting enough sleep) but it gets alot better around the 8 week mark. Just hang in there!
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!