Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to the board.. Gassy Fussy Baby

Unhappy New to the board.. Gassy Fussy Baby

Hello!
    I am new to the board and I Need some advice please

Our baby is 3 weeks old (he will be a month on the 5th!!!) and he gets gas so bad. He just cries and cries. it is not an all day thing. He gets super gassy at night. During the day for the most part he naps just fine and has a little gas trouble.

But around 9-10pm at night is when it starts. He cries and cries, his tummy is so hard. Then my husband starts on me and i get interroagted abt wht I ate and I have to list out everything I put in my mouth............and it makes me upset andcry that our LO is crying so hard becuase his tummy hurts.

I have cut out dairy, soy, nuts, chocolate (well as much a possible), spicy foods you name it. I eat a bland diet- lots of oatmeal, toast, bakes potatoes, grilled chicken, few vegggies ect. I am just at a loss.
    We use Gripe Water and mylocon drops (when needed) but it seems like he maybe a gassy baby or have a sensitive I track and tummy.

The house is warm (as much as we can stand it for summer) we try giving him a warm bath at night to help his pass the gas.

Any ideas............ i need some help, we do not use formula for any reason

Default Re: New to the board.. Gassy Fussy Baby

First off tell your husband to chill out and stop stressing you.

It's actually fairly normal for babies to get super fussy for a few hours in the evening, they call it the witching hour. But since you say his belly is all hard, obviously there is gas or something going on. It could be as simple as your baby's digestive system still adjusting to milk. It could just be your baby has a hard time getting rid of gas.

My daughter was like that the first several weeks. It turned out that in our case I had a foremilk hindmilk imbalance and that combined with my trying to schedule feedings (I thought I wasn't supposed to nurse more often than every 3 hours) was resulting in a hungry baby with an upset tummy. When I started feeding on demand things magically cleared up. She was also always hard to burp. We'd work on her for ages after every feeding and still not get a burp half the time.

What do his dirty diapers look like?

I think your elimination diet may be a bit extreme for the symptoms you are describing. MOST of the time when you are dealing with a fussy baby and no other symptoms it doesn't have anything to do with what you're eating.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you for your reply!!!

His diapers are yellow runny poopie they really have not changed. His tummy is hard it is so round and hard and he just sticks his legs out straight and cries and cries It's heart breaking. This is baby #3 so I am not new to this. I BF our other ds for 26 months........ and he was a little fussy but nt like this.

These bouts of gas are not just for an hour or two it starts 9-10pm and goes until 4-5 am. He will take snoozes during the night, but I cannot lay him down in his bassinet with out him crying after a few minutes. And it is not a little fuss it is a full blown "i'm in pain" cry

I know this is a phase but it is starting to wear on me physically and emotionally. I feed on demand when he wants it I feed him. He also takes forever to burp **sigh**

I know my husband is trying to mean well, but getting asked abt wht I ate gets old. I am just scared to eat a bowl of cereal or ice cream becuase I dont want him to have gas

I know that when he is stretched out he will pass gas quiet a bit, but i cant get him to lay down long enough to "relax" to get things moving in there.

I just want to cry.............

So it only happens at night? Is it when you lay him down? Does he fuss during naps? I'm wondering if it might be some kind of reflux. That's not something I'm familiar with, but I know a lot of ladies around here have dealt with it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

does he sleep in his bassinet during the day or do you use a swing or bouncy seat for his nap? i only ask because our little man cried and cried every time we laid him on anything flat. our ped suggested using a crib wedge at a 30 degree angle and it really really helped. but also our little mans gas got better on its own but not until about 3mths and our little man also has reflux aggravated by a dairy allergy. also dairy can take up to two weeks to leave your system so if he is having problems it could be from something you ate last week! try not to worry about your diet so much it makes you nuts i know that is easier said than done! also is his poo seedy or slimyish? does he want to nurse a lot while he is already in tummy pain? does he have a congested sound to his breathing or a runny nose?

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

he starts crying at night. It is the red in the face loose his breath crying
    i am clueless why it happens at night. i will feed him, get him "relaxed" then ay him down and the crying starts again. nursing him calms him down, then we ly him down and he cries. he does have gas today too

and it goes on from there , and i am exhausted. i feel for him cause he is so little he cant do anything. any tips are welcomed please.

Tip #1: Tell your husband to put a sock in it. If he can't say something supportive, he shouldn't say anything at all.

Since your baby's poops are yellow, I doubt that something you are eating is at fault. If it was, I think you'd likely be seeing poops that were green or watery or mucousy.

Maybe the issue is that your LO just isn't happy sleeping apart from you? Some babies just do not want to be out of physical contact with mommy, and they are not going to be happy in a bassinet. Is co-sleeping an option for you?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

have you tried the colic massage techniques??? going to try and find the link right now...

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjanfeb98p13.html

this helped with our ds#2-- super gassy...
    Last edited by @llli*bella1021; August 3rd, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: link

about your husband. when LO had those horrible gas-screaming nights sometimes I'd just let DH deal with it for 5-10 minutes so I could get a mental sanity break--tell him that would actually be helpful instead of his comments.

Do you have one of those vibrating bouncy chairs? The vibrate feature helped my LO with gas when she was a tiny baby and when she gets gas pain now I do the massage. We tried gas drops with no luck (my friend swears by them but my pedi thinks they are like a placebo) but I have also heard those are only good before gas gets past the stomach--so they might help w/ burping type gas but not passing wind. My LO was also hard to burp, I just kept rotating all the possible different burping positions and when they finally came out they sounded like a grown man's blech
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; August 3rd, 2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: clarification
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thank you ladies so much.

Jut for clarification my dh is not trying to be mean, belittle me or snarky- he just gets worried/upset when Baby F cries like that, and there are so many websites out there that seem to point blame 100% on what mom eats makes baby gassy.........so that is why he kept asking me what I eat.

I explained that some babies are naturally gassy and some more than others. We sat and talked about it

And he does hold baby F when he creis like that trust me, we both do our fair share heehehe

And to answer a previous question- Yes he naps in his bassinet and we do not have a vibrating bouncy seat.

He has been passing gas all day today and much of last night and he slept so good last night

I guess it's a trail and error thing with this one!