Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much milk, still??

Default Re: Too much milk, still??

so if I've already pumped like 15 oz, do you think it's safe for me to skip the 3:30 pumping session?

I think the key is moving your sessions later in the day. What I had been doing was pumping right when I got to work (I got there 20 min early for that reason), once @ lunch, and once in the afternoon. When I was making way too much and cutting down to twice a day, I had to push that first pump forwards to 9 or 9:30 to make it work. Then I pumped once more just after lunch, around 1:30.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I don't think I could wait until that late in the day without exploding. Usually I only get a HUGE amount on Monday morning, and it goes to about 5oz, 4oz & 4oz after Monday.

Well, if you're only getting crazy amounts on Monday, and you're not too uncomfortable on the weekends, I would probably leave it the way it is.

That flip carrier looks pretty similar to the ones I have. What you do is you put it kind of low on your hips so that the babies mouth will be near nipple height. Then, put baby in, help her latch on. I generally have to hold my breast, but I can do some things one handed. I hope that she can handle it all on her own when she gets a bit older.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I figured I would just keep doing what I'm doing, but maybe not pump the full 15-20 minutes each time.

I had oversupply too, and only ever nursed off one breast at a time with Joe (still do this, although my pumping days are behind me now). I found that two longish pumping sessions in my 9 hour workday worked fine to make enough milk for Joe and keep me happier (i.e., not engorged) on weekends. The usual rec's for pumping are intended for moms who may need to pump frequently to keep supply up.

For a mom with O/S, less frequent, longer feedings may imitate "block feeding" better and prevent your body from going into overdrive. Try two pumpings, 3 to 4 hours apart, and see how that goes. I would just say, when you do it less frequently, make sure you allot enough time for them - mine used to take 20-30 minutes and I would get a second letdown and feel pretty emptied out afterwards. This ensures your baby is getting lots of hindmilk too.

ETA: Reading your last post. I think the danger to doing frequent shorter pumpings is that sometimes INCREASES supply for O/S moms. Less frequent, longer pumpings seem to be more like an O/S nurses - one boob at a time, going several hours between nursing on that boob again. Of course, if you pumped one boob at a time, you'd spend your whole life pumping. But pumping both sides about 2-3 hours after you get to work, and then pumping again 3-4 hours after that, and then holding out for nursing at home, worked really well for me, and best imitated my nursing patterns.

Honestly, 12 oz in a day sounds about right for a breastfed baby. You might find that your baby will nurse more in the evenings and at night if they aren't taking much in the bottle during the day. A lot of babies boycott the bottle in favor of the boob. That's really normal, and as long as they're getting food in the evenings, no big deal at all.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

oh yes, she likes to nurse like every hour from around 5:30 or 6:00 until 9 or 10, then she sleeps through the night (til 4:30-5:30am). I think she definitely prefers the boob, but is taking much less in at each feed, and even though I am block feeding, she still had bright green stool yesterday and this morning. I guess I might have to cut back my pumping and just hope that I can manage the oversupply. (this morning @ 8:30AM I got 7oz - 2oz off the breast she fed from last around 7:00AM, and then 5oz off the breast she hadn't fed from since last night). I am all for reverse cycling, but this has been going on for like 2-3 weeks, and I can never get out of the house!!!!!

Now we have a new development... this week on Monday I only pumped 7oz in the morning, then 5oz, then 4oz. EXACTLY the 16oz that I have to send to daycare, even though LO only drinks 9-12oz in the daytime. (I always have to send an "extra" bottle just in case, but am considering sending one bottle from the freezer and 3 fresh.... At home, she had 3 bottles with daddy, and the last one was around 4:00 pm. Around 6:30 she was starving, crying hysterically (which she NEVER NEVER does... rarely makes any sounds at all, in fact.) but wouldn't take the breast, then wouldn't take the bottle either. I finally got her to take a bottle, and she sucked it down so hard she was collapsing the nipple. I was afraid she wouldn't take the breast later, but she did, 2 more times, then slept from around 9:30PM until 3AM, then until I woke her around 6AM. This morning I only pumped around 5-6 ounces, then 5-6more at the noon session. Is it possible that I'm finally "balancing out" my O/S issues, or could I possibly be LOSING supply, as LO usually sleeps from 9 or 10PM straight through to anywhere between 3AM & 6AM - usually between 3-4 she wakes to eat, then I feed her again around 6-6:30 and she usually eats at daycare around 8:00-9:00

I don't think you're losing your supply - rather, it sounds like it's balancing out. The fussiness is strange, but it's more likely caused by a growth spurt, teething, or some other issue. I would give it a couple days.

What I don't understand is why you're providing an "extra bottle" every day? Can't you just give your DCP a few frozen bags, to use as backup in case your baby wants more? That is, I don't understand why you are concerned about pumping 16 ounces every day if your baby is only drinking 12 of them. Seems like what you need is 12 ounces every day, with just a few four ounce bags in the freezer as backup.

P.S. As long as you're feeding on demand during the evenings and nights, your baby should keep your supply right where she needs it. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Enjoy your sleep while you can!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks for the reassurance. I was just contemplating donating some milk but now am afraid to, for fear that my supply might be lower. I pray you're right, but think I'll hold off on donating for a little while yet, and see what happens over the next few days. FYI - DCP requests "ready to feed" bottles, and keeps a bag frozen for "emergencies". So... the "extra" 4oz bottle is in case she's extra hungry so that they don't have to defrost a bag unless it's a "real emergency" (ie: bottle gets spilled, or is bad, etc.)
    Having the extra bottle has been nice on occasion for me, though, as if she gets hungry while we're out and about after I pick her up and she won't BF, I can just give her a little off the bottle to tide her over until we get home or I can get her settled down enough to BF.
    Last edited by @llli*rdh2378; August 23rd, 2011 at 12:53 PM.