Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much milk, still??

Default Too much milk, still??

I am EBF on weekends, and this morning got 10oz of milk. (4oz on the right that had been nursed on 3.5 hours earlier, and 6 oz off the left that hadn't been nursed off since around 8:30PM last night). Is it possible that I am just storing all this milk and my LO isn't getting it out, or is it more likely that she's getting a ton when she nurses, b/c she usually only nurses 5-10 minutes on one side only. Last week, she was refusing to take more than 1oz at a time @ daycare, and was taking all day (from 7:30AM-5:00PM) to finish off 2.5 bottles (4oz in each bottle), when the 2 weeks before, she was gulping down 3-4 bottles with 4oz in each. She is 3 months adjusted, 4 months chronological, and was 6.25# at birth (lowest birth weight around 5#11oz) and she's now around 13#.

Default Re: Too much milk, still??

I had to cut my pumping down d/t oversupply pretty early on, like around 4 mos or so. I would get really full on the weekends, then get huge amounts of milk on Mondays.

How many times a day do you currently pump?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

She may have been going through a growth spurt before when she was drinking more. They really do go up and down on their intake quite a bit, so unless you are seeing problems- like green foamy poops or you are getting painfully engorged/plugged ducts I would try not to worry too much about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I pump at 8:30AM, Noon and 3:30PM. She only eats off one breast at a time so I sometimes put her back on the same breast that I finished with if she eats within 1-2 hours, and/or if she seemed to eat less. Her BM's have been yellow, with a random green, but I don't believe "foamy". Daycare just told me she only took 1/2 ounce this morning, then about 2 oz an hour later, and just now at lunch, she only took 2 ounces. I think it is b/c they are trying to force her to eat to fast, and not giving her enough time. My DH watches her 2 days a week and he at least gets her to take 2-3 bottles a day. I guess I just need to accept that she loves the boob, maybe. She has her 4 month well check Friday so we'll get an idea of her weight, length and head circumference and she if she's growing well. She's been consistently in the 25% for length and weight and 15% for head circumference. Seems a little behind on core body strength but spent 2 weeks in NICU flat on her back and didn't get a lot of tummytime until 2 months actual.

I had the same thing with the pumping at the beginning. I dropped back to pumping twice instead of 3 times. Sometimes Beatrix will take 16 ounces in a day, usually around 12, or a little less.

Also, don't worry too much about those physical milestones. There is a really broad range for normal.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

when you say she "during the day" does that mean in about 8-9 hours?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I had the same thing with the pumping at the beginning. I dropped back to pumping twice instead of 3 times. Sometimes Beatrix will take 16 ounces in a day, usually around 12, or a little less.

Also, don't worry too much about those physical milestones. There is a really broad range for normal.

Oh, sorry. Yeah, I'm away from her for 10.5 hours. I nurse on demand when we're together, so I'm not sure how much she eats at night and on weekends.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I send 4 bottles with 4 ounces in each, and she, too usually only eats 12 oz or a little less. I think she's getting a lot more with me. I feed her in the morning before I leave and she often wants to feed 3-5 times between the time I get home around 5:30PM and when she goes down for the night between 9-10PM. I am pretty sure she's getting plenty, I just wish she would go back to being wililng to take a bit more consistently from the bottles so I wasn't breastfeeding ALL evening, sometimes

Yeah, that's hard. Do you notice engorgement issues on the weekends? The reason I went down to two pumpings was more because I would end up being engorged all day Friday, half the day Saturday, finally even out on Sunday and then back to pumping on Monday or Tuesday. I think I could go back to three pumpings a day now, though, as my supply has finally evened out.

A lot of the nursing in the evenings is about reconnection too. Have you tried nursing in a carrier? I never could figure it out with the MOBY, but I have a Mei Tai and an Ergo and have managed to nurse in both of those. Then you can walk around and get things done, if you need to.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I usually start getting engorge Saturday afternoon and stay that way until late Sunday, but I just hand express a bit off between nursing sessions and it has seemed to keep me from getting plugged ducts and mastitis, but I think OALD is making it harder for her to eat, too. I can't figure out my moby at all, let alone for nursing. I have an infantino flip, but haven't tried to figure out how to nurse her in it... nursing sitting down is even a challenge b/c she has developed a shallower latch to accommodate the OALD.