Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploring herself....?

Default Exploring herself....?

So, my dd who is 9months old has been shooting her hands down there quicker than lightening whenever I go to change her needless to say making changing poopie diapers interesting, now my question is, I'm sure this is normal right? How long does it last?? Is there a way I can discourage her from doing so??

Example today, she grabbed a handful and smeared it everywhere before I could even blink.

Default Re: Exploring herself....?

When changing poopy dipes I'd give something fun that would occupy their hands until it was clean. Then I'd let both my DD and DS explore a bit before putting the dipe back on. Totally normal and my kids still do it. They're 4 and almost 3

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    When changing poopy dipes I'd give something fun that would occupy their hands until it was clean. Then I'd let both my DD and DS explore a bit before putting the dipe back on. Totally normal and my kids still do it. They're 4 and almost 3
    Yup, I was going to say it's totally normal. And my nearly 4YO DD does it all.the.time my nearly 2YO DS hasn't gotten into it as much yet. But to distract him while changing a poopy diaper, I have started asking him to point to his above-the-waist body parts... eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair, neck, hands, elbows, belly etc. Makes diaper changes educational too, LOL
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Totally normal. With a baby, distraction is the key to keeping little hands poop-free. I give my DD2 a toy or a wipe to play with while I clean her up. As your child gets older, you will eventually be able to educate her and let her know that playing with her genitals is fine, but it's something that is to be done in privacy. But don't expect that message to sink in all the way for years and years.

wow! Stuff you don't think of as a new mommy! Thanks for the heads up!
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

I totally want to hijack this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As your child gets older, you will eventually be able to educate her and let her know that playing with her genitals is fine, but it's something that is to be done in privacy. But don't expect that message to sink in all the way for years and years.
    How and when do you start the education process? I am at a loss. DS is still happier in his diapers and plays a little. DD prefers naked or underwear and would happily have her hands (and anything else) in there
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    DD prefers naked or underwear and would happily have her hands (and anything else) in there
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I keep books by the diaper changing areas. I give her a book to look at while I change her diaper. If I'm in a place without a book I give her my phone, which is locked with code. But it's still my phone.

I was just bathing my daughter last night. As I was cleaning her, I was telling her, "Now we are going to clean your private parts. Only mama can touch you here to clean you. And Mama J can help clean you, Grandma and that's it. Nobody else can touch you here but mama, mama J, grandma and you. You can touch your privates. If anybody else does, you come tell mama right away... Now we are going to wash your cute feet..."

I know I went a different place with it, but I feel it's important. Wrong, right, I dunno.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    How and when do you start the education process?
    I started when DD1 was around 3 years old, and potty-trained. When she was in diapers, it wasn't really an issue- she just didn't have much access, YKWIM? But once she was in panties, she didn't have to even take anything off in order to play with her bits. I guess the first step was teaching her the names for her bits, and the next step was explaining that they were called "private" parts because we only play with them when we're in privacy. At age 5 she totally understands this, but she still has a hand on her crotch half the time. I have actually gotten rather frustrated with it- I mean, she knows that private parts are for private time, but she'll still happily grope herself while watching tv or sitting in the bath with mommy and baby sister. It feels good, therefore she goes for it, hoping I won't notice. I don't want her to feel ashamed about it, but at the same time I'd really rather she internalized the privacy rule. I guess I should count my blessings. At least she stopped picking her nose and wiping it on the wall behind her pillow.

So good luck, llladies. It's a long slog!

ETA: as far as putting "anything else" in there, y'all aren't alone there, either. I have had to say sentences like "Please do not stick the plastic crocodile in your vulva. It's not polite because other people will want to play with it, and they shouldn't have to touch things that were in your private parts." A plastic crocodile, llladies. I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    ETA: as far as putting "anything else" in there, y'all aren't alone there, either. I have had to say sentences like "Please do not stick the plastic crocodile in your vulva. It's not polite because other people will want to play with it, and they shouldn't have to touch things that were in your private parts." A plastic crocodile, llladies. I kid you not.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!