Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cluster feeding at 4 1/2 weeks?

Default cluster feeding at 4 1/2 weeks?

My baby wants to feed every hour it seems, or does she just want to comfort suck? She won't take a pacifier at these times, although will take one at other points durring the day. She missed her 3-week growth spurt, possibly because I was told by a lactation consultant at 2 weeks that I was feeding her TOO often and to not feed more than every 3 hours and that her usual "feeding cues" were unreliable indicators of real hunger. I also have an oversupply of milk. She nurses anywhere from 10 minutes - 45 min and only one one side, since I was told to block feed.

She's screaming right now, and rooting against me like she's hungry even though it's only been an hour since she finished eating (for 20 minutes). I'm going to offer her the other breast since it's very full and the one I used last feeding is still soft. Should I be doing this? I'm thinking she's having her growth spurt now and really does want the milk.

Default Re: cluster feeding at 4 1/2 weeks?

My lo is 5 weeks tomorrow and I'm pretty much going with "if you're hungry, I'll feed you." I'm not sure you can overfeed a breastfed baby. At least with mine, it seems there are times when she's vigorously nursing, and other times when she's just hanging out and taking a sip now and again. Either way, it keeps her mellow, so we just go with it.

Hope this helps! I know it's hard when it seems like all you do all day is nurse.

Default Re: cluster feeding at 4 1/2 weeks?

Prime time for a growth spurt. Just keep up with her for now. This will pass only to be met again around 6 or 12 weeks!!