Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Warm or cold expressed milk?

Default Warm or cold expressed milk?

My son is 22 months and still is getting at least 2 servings of expressed milk while im at work (im gone like 14 hour stretches)

If you guys are giving your child expressed milk, does the person who gives it serve it warm or cold? My mil and I disagree on this sort of, I think it should be warmed a little to mix the fat in.. And she thinks cold because if a kud is given cows milk its cold. I know he is older so its not warming a babys bottle.....

Maybe I just shouldnt make a big deal out of it bc I should just be glad he is still getting the breastmilk lol and mil is ok with it.....
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Default Re: Warm or cold expressed milk?

I would occasionally give the little boy I last nannied cold expressed milk. I just gently swirled the bottle (not shake it) until the fat mixed in. I don't think temperature really matters too much. Does your son have a preference?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I work with two LC's that always suggest giving expressed milk cold so I will sometimes let moms know that is a possibility I have never tried it myself but I always say if the baby won't take the cold milk to warm it up.
    Last edited by @llli*romeroke; August 1st, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I would occasionally give the little boy I last nannied cold expressed milk. I just gently swirled the bottle (not shake it) until the fat mixed in. I don't think temperature really matters too much. Does your son have a preference?
    agree with this. if your son takes it cold why not? maybe room temp as a compromise?

I like for my 6 month old daughter to get her EBM cold @ daycare so that if she wants warm milk, she has to get it from the source
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Maybe just run the bottle under a warm tap for long enough to let the fat warm up a bit? That is, it might not need to be fully "warmed" to get that same effect.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.