Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I stop domperidone

Question Should I stop domperidone

Hey ladies

I dont post here much but lurk alot. I have a question about domperidone.

I was started on it when DS was maybe 2 months. Looking back it probably wasnt really need, he was just probably getting more efficient at nursing (I was concerned that he wasnt eating very long, etc.)

Anyways, I was on 30mg three times a day then went up to 40mg four times a day since. DS is almost 10 months old, and weighs 29 lbs, so he's definitely getting enough.

THing is I'm worried to stop now that it will affect my supply, but I think it's affecting my cycles and I want my fertility back (though I know this may just be from breastfeeding, domperidone can cause menstrual irregularities).

Should I try weaning off? How will I know if it is affecting my supply? DS eats solids now, and I usually wake him once eduring the night to nurse, if I dont I'm engorged in the morning.

But I DONT want to lose my supply!!

Oh, and my supply always seems low in the afternoon no matter what I do, so I dont want that getting worse.

What should I do???

Thanks for reading this novel!
    DS 10/09/10 7lbs 11 oz

Default Re: Should I stop domperidone

As long as your baby is nursing well, he should be able to maintain your supply at the right level without you needing to use Domperidone. If you want to minimize the chances of an abrupt supply drop, taper the drug dose by a few mg at a time until it is gone.

That being said, I doubt the Domperidone is to blame for your lack of a cycle. The average time until return of fertility in a breastfeeding mom is around 15 months, and you ate still well within that zone. If you want your fertility back, the best thing to do is to wait- especially since if you get pregnant again you are likely to lose your milk supply, so if you want your baby to receive the recommended minimum 1 year of breastfeeding, you don't want to be pregnant right now. But if you are really committed to getting your fertility back sooner, you may want to think about night weaning, since that often brings a mom's cycle back (the longer your prolactin level is down, the more likely it is that you will ovulate).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As long as your baby is nursing well, he should be able to maintain your supply at the right level without you needing to use Domperidone. If you want to minimize the chances of an abrupt supply drop, taper the drug dose by a few mg at a time until it is gone.

That being said, I doubt the Domperidone is to blame for your lack of a cycle. The average time until return of fertility in a breastfeeding mom is around 15 months, and you ate still well within that zone. If you want your fertility back, the best thing to do is to wait- especially since if you get pregnant again you are likely to lose your milk supply, so if you want your baby to receive the recommended minimum 1 year of breastfeeding, you don't want to be pregnant right now. But if you are really committed to getting your fertility back sooner, you may want to think about night weaning, since that often brings a mom's cycle back (the longer your prolactin level is down, the more likely it is that you will ovulate).
    I don't have anything to add to that, but would you mind my asking a question: so you've been on domperidone at 40mg 4x/days (a total of 160 pills) for 8 months now and don't experience any adverse side effects? I've been on 30mg 3x/days for 3 months now and am tempted to up the dosage to see if it'd work better but I'm not sure if it's safe... Your answer will just be for reference so don't worry! TIA!

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

I am taking domperidone too, I take 40 mg, 3 times a day. My family doc and LC told me I had to continue taking the domperidone as long as I wanted to nurse. I have no side effects. Here is the sheet I was given for when I decided to stop talking the domperidone http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15:do mperidone-stopping&catid=5&Itemid=17. Hope this helps.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

OP, I apologize for

Mirkka, thank you!

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Mirkka, you didnt hijack! No worries!!

I actually did have a little side effect for awhile. I had small facial ticks every so often. They've stopped now. My doctor is not convinced that these were a result of the medication but after doing some searching it seems to me that it was.

I'm sick right now (stomach bug) and therefore am not eating as much as I should be. After this passes I think I will attempt to slowly wean off the dpd. Thanks for all the advice!!!
    DS 10/09/10 7lbs 11 oz

Sounds like you've made your decision. Maybe's it's worth me saying I stopped Domperidone at 10 months (reducing over about 3 weeks) and noticed no change at all in supply. Made me think I could have stopped much earlier. Now I'm wondering how to wean Best of luck.

I've stopped several times when I have just run out of pills (been taking it since March) and I notice a large increase and then it PLUMMETS. So it might be necessary. But now I can get by on less pills so a bottle lasts longer at least. But I'd remove on pills at a time every few days and see what the lowest dosage you can go is. You might be able to wean off of it though, everyone is different