Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth Control and milk production

Default Birth Control and milk production

Doc put me on Loestrin 21... I need it for my cycle, I have been bleeding about two months. He claims it will not reduce my milk. Any experiences??? Thanks!!

Default Re: Birth Control and milk production

Any BC with estrogen in it can impact your supply. And the hormones do get into your milk and could expose your LO. Whether or not either or both will be a problem for YOU...it depends. Some women don't have much of a problem, while others totally lose their milk very quickly.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the PP. Has your doc explored all the various options for explaining the bleeding? Fibroids and endometriosis spring immediately to mind...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If your dr thinks you need an estrogen based bc, then this is possibly one of the best options because of the low dose of estrogen. Another low dose bc is NuvaRing (which I LOVED be DD), but I don't know how soon you can use it after delivery. Ask your doctor if a progesteron bc is possible. If it is, then Yaz may be a better option.

Right, listen to your baby and your body and then your doctor's knowledge afterward. I started the bfing-friendly bcp last year and by the second day my DD was cueing for feeds more often and had less nappy output. I knew my lactaction was reduced due to hormones, and double-checked on this forum to confirm. I stopped the pill the third day and by the fourth DD was back to her usual rhythm.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?