Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting discouraged!

Unhappy getting discouraged!

Last night I hit a new low...I just dont know how much more of this I can take.Yesterday I watched some clips from Dr Newman's videos on latching and believe it or not, the next time we nursed, I got it right! There was no pain and I was SO happy. Then all afternoon and evening DS wanted to cluster feed and do you think I could get it right again? NO! What is wrong with me?? Why is this so hard to do? By last night my breasts were so sore...I've developed a stinging/tingling in the nipples that radiates right through the entire breasts...I dont know if this is a sign that the thrush has entered my ducts, or is it vasospasms...can you suddenly develop vasospasms when you didn't have them before? All I know is every time I had to feed him last night, it brought me to tears. And now my DH is saying maybe I should quit, because it's still causing so much pain. I always said I would give it 6-8 weeks to get better...But i honestly dont know if I can do this for another 2-4 weeks. I feel like such a failure. Every time things appear to be improving, they worsen again. I just want to do right by my baby...but i dont know how much more my poor body can take. Also...I have lost 23 pounds in the 4 weeks since he was born...is that healthy? I am worried that the quality of my milk will be affected...sorry for the pity party, I guess i'm feelin' sorry for myself

Default Re: getting discouraged!

There is nothing wrong with you, nursing is not as easy as people would like to think. But isn't anything great worth working for? You're doing a great job so far. Have you seen a Lactation Consultant or a LLL Leader? If not I would contact one right away. They can give you pointers on how to get the latch perfect and see if that is why you are having pain or if it is indeed thrush. You need one on one help at this point, don't be afraid to ask for it. And don't give up just yet, it really does get easier! Great job so far!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Four words.....You can do it. It is so hard in the beginning. Sometimes it feels like you will never get the hang of it. Then all of a sudden one day, You wonder where the time has gone and that you finally have it down. My daughter is 3 mo old and I have probably only felt really good about how I feed her for a month. Halloween was the first time I even fed her in public--Have done so comfortably everyday since. I think the hard part was just doing it the first time and realizing that the whole world was not staring at me. As for the sore nipples, I had a horrible crack in one that lasted for over a month. Every latch on hurt like crazy. That too went away in time. Hang in there, I found breastfeeding to be such a wonderful bonding experience. Especially when my little one unlatches and just smiles and laughs at me. That is when you know it was worth all the trouble and pain. Try to get some help from a lactation consultant with your latch. It you got it right once, just keep unlatching the baby until he gets it right again. As for the weight loss, I lost 46 lbs in the first two weeks after Katie was born, that was by preg weight plus some Keep trying, but if you decide to bottle feed, in my opinion, it is not the end of the world. It is worth the battle for such a great bond Good Luck

It is so hard......my third (now 6 months) was harder than my second by far!!! It most definitely, absolutely will get better and you will definitely, absolutely not regret sticking it out. Vasospasms can come on later....they can be worse with nipple trauma so once that is healed, the pain will go away. That's what happened with me. I had cracked, bleeding, blistered nipples and the horrible pain from the vasospasms. I would curl my toes when he would latch on!!! It is important to work on the latch early on but we are lazy about it now and it makes no difference. You will get there, I promise!!!

HANG IN THERE MOMMA!! You and Collin will get the hang of it soon! Don't beat yourself up or get down...this is hard at first. Keep at it and know that if you do stop, you gave it absolutely 100% effort before you did.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    Last night I hit a new low...I just dont know how much more of this I can take.Yesterday I watched some clips from Dr Newman's videos on latching and believe it or not, the next time we nursed, I got it right! There was no pain and I was SO happy. Then all afternoon and evening DS wanted to cluster feed and do you think I could get it right again? NO! What is wrong with me?? Why is this so hard to do? By last night my breasts were so sore...I've developed a stinging/tingling in the nipples that radiates right through the entire breasts...I dont know if this is a sign that the thrush has entered my ducts, or is it vasospasms...can you suddenly develop vasospasms when you didn't have them before? All I know is every time I had to feed him last night, it brought me to tears. And now my DH is saying maybe I should quit, because it's still causing so much pain. I always said I would give it 6-8 weeks to get better...But i honestly dont know if I can do this for another 2-4 weeks. I feel like such a failure. Every time things appear to be improving, they worsen again. I just want to do right by my baby...but i dont know how much more my poor body can take. Also...I have lost 23 pounds in the 4 weeks since he was born...is that healthy? I am worried that the quality of my milk will be affected...sorry for the pity party, I guess i'm feelin' sorry for myself
    Don't feel too badly...I go through this over & over...good latch, then gone..

hugs,
    P

thanks for the encouragment ladies...I feel a little better...I sure dont want to stop now, I want those smiles and laughs tnmomof2 mentioned!
    I guess it's a matter of curing the thrush and healing my nipples...and hopefully by then, he'll have the hang of latching. Thank goodness for this forum! It's kind of like aa meetings for alcoholics Thanks to you guys I'm still on the bandwagon!

Jennifer (((((hugs))))) Hang in there! You can do this! As for the thrush, I have it again too! My gyn called in some Diflucan for me. Have you tried that yet?

Hang in there! You are getting some great encouragement and sometimes that is what we need the most!
    I am still nursing my 12 month old son and my new challenge is his teeth and the rubbing. Each day I say "I am not sure how much longer I can do this" and each day I say, "I said this yesterday and here I am today"
    I too would suggest seeing someone in person. That can make all the difference in the world to have someone visually see what you are doing and how you can make adjustments to what you are doing.
    Keep it up and Good Luck!

Jennifer,

I've had a similar experience and understand your struggle. I have been having pain, aches, stinging, thrush, etc. for 7 full weeks. I have been to a lactation consultant three times and have spoken with my local la leche leader but have so much damage from starting out with a bad latch that it is taking forever to heal. I'm not sure it you have tried this yet, but I'm currently using a nipple shield to let the sores on my nipples recover. I let my daughter nurse and then pump to make sure I empty the breast. It is not pain free but it is a lot better than it was when I started. I've spent many days in tears due to the pain and frustration of trying to make breastfeeding work. My daughter is doing great and gaining plenty of weight, I'm just the one that is suffering. Everyone says that it gets easier so I just try to set a goal for one more day. That at least lets me feel somewhat successful at this. I know this doesn’t provide a lot of help, but at least you have someone else to commiserate with. Good luck and I hope it gets easier for you soon.