Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: color of EBM

Default color of EBM

I've just returned to work a month ago...so I'm getting used to this pumping thing...I just recently noticed that sometimes (and now it seems more frequently) my EBM has a blue tint to it. Is this normal? Is it safe to give? I've given the milk to my baby because I figured if I hadn't pumped it I wouldn't have known what color it was anyway. And I know that sometimes it can be tinted blue...I was just wondering if it's ok that it's this color more frequently. It almost seems more watery too.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: color of EBM

yep totally normal...white, yellow, blue, green, purpleish...all normal. BM will be more watery (foremilk) when its hotter out, but it doesnt hurt to pump a little longer to try to get the hindmilk as well (or more hindmilk)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    yep totally normal...white, yellow, blue, green, purpleish...all normal. BM will be more watery (foremilk) when its hotter out, but it doesnt hurt to pump a little longer to try to get the hindmilk as well (or more hindmilk)
    Thanks...I just I guess I needed to hear it from a few more people...although I did try pumping a bit longer and it did get slightly creamier...but then that was all that came out...I think my supply is decreasing because of pumping for work...gotta add in some more pumping sessions somehow...

I pump with a handsfree bra while driving to work, with a cover of course. Easy way to add a session
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I pump with a handsfree bra while driving to work, with a cover of course. Easy way to add a session
    LOL! That's a good idea!

Yup. Once I ate a whole bunch of beets, and it had a slight pink tinge to it. But it did not taste like strawberry Nesquik!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I've been trying to figure out how to fit in an extra session too. This is a good idea. What kind of cover do you use? I have a regular nursing cover and it doesn't quite cover me all the way.

Do you just get all set up before you leave, and let it run the whole car ride? I don't think I could manage to unhook everything while I'm in motion (plus, it's probably against the law ).
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Yup. Once I ate a whole bunch of beets, and it had a slight pink tinge to it. But it did not taste like strawberry Nesquik!
    That's awesome.

I've only had a blue tint. I'm pretty sure DH would freak out if it was pink or purple. Good thing he's color blind!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    I've been trying to figure out how to fit in an extra session too. This is a good idea. What kind of cover do you use? I have a regular nursing cover and it doesn't quite cover me all the way.

Do you just get all set up before you leave, and let it run the whole car ride? I don't think I could manage to unhook everything while I'm in motion (plus, it's probably against the law ).
    I have a big nursing cover. I made it. I have also tied a muslin blanket around my neck to cover everything, but I usually just pull my T shirt over top.

I get set up and get rolling, and I stop my pump after about 25 minutes and leave it all there until I get where I'm going. I only unhook if I'm at a stoplight or if there's milk running all over the place (yes, that is a potential hazard of car pumping). Or if it will be a long ride, I pull over and take everything off and put it all away.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!