Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Coincidence or is barley to blame?

Default Coincidence or is barley to blame?

For the past two days, I've been drinking barley water in an effort to increase milk production. (My doctor expressed concern about my daughter's weight gain at her 3-month check-up. Moms here helped me see that there's no real cause for alarm, but I thought drinking barley water couldn't hurt.)

Well, ever since I've started drinking the barley water, there's been a dramatic change in my daughter's sleep. Whereas she was sleeping 8 to 11 hours straight at night, she's now down to 5 or 6 hours and sucking like mad when she wakes up. I *think* her diapers are the same (possibly more than before). She's also spending more time at the breast, but that could be because I put her on both breasts now instead of one (when she first came home from the hospital, she always refused the second breast so I stopped offering it. Oops). After nursing, she does seem satisfied, but even during the day, she seems to need to nurse much sooner than before.

I read on here that there's a growth spurt at 3 months. So, can I assume this is a coincidence and the increased waking and needing to nurse is due to a growth spurt, or is it possible that drinking barley water could have decreased my milk supply instead of increasing it?

In case it's helpful, my daughter is 3 months 11 days (14-1/2 weeks), and her weight as of four days ago was 10 lbs 12 ozs.

Thank you!

P.S. I hope some day I'm knowledgeable enough to start answering questions instead of only asking them.

Default Re: Coincidence or is barley to blame?

I wouldn't blame the barley water, but you could always do a little experiment, cut it out of your diet, and see what happens.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal; my little guy (9 m/o now) went through a wicked growth spurt around that age and was chug-a-lugging like there was no end in sight.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Thank you!

I did think of trying a day or two without the barley water, but then I worried that if it is a growth spurt, I'd be in an even worse situation if I ended up with less milk. I'm over-thinking this, I'm sure. And, actually, I just realized that the other change in my diet (at exactly the same time) were homemade chocolate chip cookies with lots of dark chocolate chips = caffeine. I'll try cutting those out first. And, then see what happens.

If today is any indication, I'm guessing it's a growth spurt. I think if she had her choice she'd nurse from nap to nap.

Thank you again!
    Mom to 4/19/2011, 5/14/2009, and 12/14/2002